Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Impreza GT
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys time for my next journal! i used this for myself as a list of stuff i wanted to get done, and since in my searching i didnt see anyone doing specifically what i'm doing i may have a lot of questions along the way.

its going to be short and hard to read but i'll fix it here when i get things moving.

so starting off, i was on my way to PA to check out a 00 stm sedan rs. no body rust, well he sent me pics of the underneath and i gagged. fithy, well we headed up there to check it out anyway. we're rollin down some back woods hill billy town we pass used car dealer, my gf (savior of the year) spotted a black gc! (not really lookin for a coupe) so we turn around. dude! its a sedan, :banana: had rusty quarters, they were fixed and primer'd over, i took out the trunk panels and they cut out and fiberglassed in. the rust was only about 2" long and 1" tall i look underneath, its amazing, its almost as clean as my north carolina coupe i just sold! i'm thinking he wants a small mint for this car, asked him how much. half the price of the one i origionally was gonna get. i was sold.

long story short i now have it. they delivered it that day for $100
mind you this place is 5 hours away, 300 miles for all you non-ohians

the engine runs, 182k miles. but she leaks oil from somewhere on the rear.
auto
hood paint is completely trashed
dings/dents
but i dont care:

i bought a whole 2004 wrx wagon a month ago for use in a swap.
right now its gutted out and ready to find its new home

Complete wrx swap + tranny + rear end ...................... COMEPLETE :banana:
(dash is NOT HAPPENING http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t169409-buurmas-01-wrx.html#post2669332 )
re-using the whole wrx harness. ............................... doneeee.
Adapting the RS steering yolk to accept the wrx power steering ......... complete :)
figure out what throttle cable to use ................................ complete :)
wiring for rear abs ............................... done
dropping in wrx fuel pump ................................. complete
Timing belt .............................................. compete
removing under radiator support from wrx cross member. .................. Complete
remove RS cross member and everything attached ..................... complete
finding a wrx wheel (air bags deployed) .............. complete
finding a 5 speed pitch mount bracket .............. done!
swapping the pedal assembly ........................... the wrx pedal assembly DOES NOT BOLT UP
finding a drivers 04-05 wrx seat (mines fubar)...... done
swappping to the wrx's carpet ............................ the carpets arent the same, the wrx one fits way different. i reused the RS one
Steel braided brake lines .................................. Complete
rear spats ....................................................... done
finding nice wheels ........................................ complete
getting a professional paint job .......................... http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/169409-buurmas-01-wrx-new-paint-2.html#post2969841
painted hood .................................................... complete
making another light bar ................................... complete
Corner lights .................................................... done
Hella lights ..................................................... complete
hella horns ..................................................... complete :)
jdm tails........................................................... complete
jdm flat fuel door................................................done
jdm version 6 grille .......................................... so nice!
06 wrx 4 pot 2 pot setup.................................... bambalamb!

Go fast parts!
wrx up pipe ................................................ installed
wrx down pipe ............................................ installed
wrx 3 " tbe ................................................. installed
Invidia-perrin setup. :banana:

estimated initial engine start date? 12/25/11
actual engine start date .............. 12/13/11 :banana:

i havent even took anything apart on the sedan, as of nov 27 2011

Mods

Engine/drivetrain:
Complete 2004 wrx wagon engine, tranny, ecu
complete brake setup off the 04 wrx
larger rear sway bar (17mm?)
Steel braided brake lines
intercooler sprayer
FHI carbon strut tower bar
iWire tune + my tweaks
invidia bell mouth downpipe + catless up pipe + perrin cat back.
06 wrx 4 pot 2 pot combo!

Exterior
Wheels: Drag DR-31's 17x7 40mm offset with a 215/45z17 conti extreme contacts!
Coupe wing
JDM grill with pink 'I' badge and my wrx emblem
JDM rear spats
JDM flat fuel door
JDM tail lights
2006 wrx wheels
replica fog light covers
Buurma racing light bar + 2 hella 700's
Hella supertone's

skid plate:
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t169409-buurmas-01-wrx.html#post2773450

Interior
2005 wrx seats, all 4
2002 wrx MOMO wheel
3x gauge pack with:
autometer boost, AEM wideband, and autometer oil pressure
Subaru all weather floor mats
OEM fog light switch wired up for the hella's (looks and functions like factory)
poineer 6.5" speakers
JVC double din cd player
i used the wagon's wiper stalk and made a functional intercooler sprayer

i have a few pics.

how she sat at the dealer guy's place

loaded it up headed home:

driving, i think i'm missing something?

engine is in!!!!!!!!

Most Recent pic

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Impreza GT
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
i think i will use this post as my speed bump pictures and my fixes

First up is my ac pressure line.
you cant use your oem high side line, the way it is.

the wrx one will fit, only if the other end of the line (the side that goes to the condensor) was flipped over) so my solve is:

VICE
tapped it with a hammer, bent it just a wee bit farther and woohoo fits like it was supposed to :)

Steering yolk, GC to GD conversion;
Your GC yolk is a very coarse spline compared to the GD one.

the GD one is longer than the GC one

if you've ever changed a universal joint in anything you know how to do this, if you have the GD yolk that is.

i used my vice, and a socket set as my press. i hate hammering things.
pressed the bearing into my socket and pushed on the other side's bearing with a smaller socket.

cleaned em out and put fresh grease in there. pressed em back together and finished product:

on a 02-05 wrx there's a bracket that holds the o2 sensor plugs and the egt sensor plugs, well that doesnt fit, unless of course you make it fit. all you gotta do is twist the lower bolt hole to accomidate your strut tower then bend the one closest to the fender to attach it there. cut off the middle bolt hole and done!

got my pedals in, the wrx ones are different than GC ones. but you can slip the pedal covers off the wrx and slid em onto the gc ones.

one of my favorite inventions, cam gear holding tool. i stripped one of the bolts that holds the cam gear on and i didnt feel like waiting a week to drop me engine in, so i made a tool that holds it so i dont have to pull the valve cover off.

IF you're using the gc's radiator you need to trim down the upper hose. its too long and bunches up unless you trim it.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza GT
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If you've ever struggled putting an oil pressure sending unit on your car for an aftermarket gauge here's my fix:
take a grease gun hose 1/8npt and relocate the sending unit!

fix a ground wire to the sending unit, then hook your gauge.

voila!

·
Registered
2001 Impreza GT
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
2001 Impreza GT
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, i tried, and i tried, but i just CANNOT get the FLIPPIN GD DASH to fit in my FREAKIN GC.

i'm very very OCD when it comes to my car, if its not 110% perfect it will drive me nuts, better just go with the gc style dash.

good thing i have the 3x gauge pod :)

·
Registered
95 impreza wag
309 Posts
soooo excited to see this!! good luck with the swap dude! also when i head home from school next ill hit you up and i may have to stop by to see the new toy!!

·
Registered
2001 Impreza GT
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
so, yet again, i'm figting with something

I cant (for the life of me) get my wrx pedal setup to fit!!!!!!!!!!!! :curse:

there's something very wrong here. the 4 bolts on the brake booster fit, but for the clutch master cyl it acts like the framework is too long, from where it goes through the firewall to where it bolts onto the little bracket up top.

what am i doing wrong??

**** SOLVED ****

the whole pedal assembly bracket from an 02+ chassis is larger than the <01 ones.
the throttle pedal is the same, just looks cooler from the wrx :sunny:
proof is here: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/84830-99-2-5rs-2007-sti-swap-progress-2.html#post2024849

·
Registered
2001 Impreza GT
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh sweet dude didn't realize you picked this up!! I'm going to subscribe to this for my swap ;) I'll be a ways behind you though...lol

its a shame i gave up on the whole dash deal... :/ but for as ocd as i am i think i'm better off NOT having gaps and a poorly fitting dash..

·
I &#10084; BOOBIES
swaps on swaps
1,959 Posts
Same, I'm months away from even looking for a donor and I know I'll be leaving my dash alone. Especially after seeing what is considered a "clean" dash swap.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza GT
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Today i got my ac compressor mounted. had to bend the pressure side hose so it would clear a bracket on the intake manifold, only had to bend it like 15 degrees. i'll have pics later.

then i put the car on jack stands, and started pullin the rear end out. since i'll be using the brakes and everything from the rear of the wrx this should be easy, dohhhttt why did i say that....

learned some things about the framework differences between the wrx and the GC
the wrx has a frame support that wraps around the front of the engine, as seen in my see through chassis pic. that all has to come off before i can drop my shell onto it.

oh and i got my steering yolks modified. i was right the yolk bearing size is the same as the wrx. so it was pretty cut and dry, take the one yolk off the coupling put it on the other.
there is a difference in size here. the WRX one is longer than the RS one...
Using the RS modified yolk with an RS steering column with the GD's steering rack works perfect!

also. i used the throttle cable from the wrx. i remember reading that if you have a sohc engine your cable wont be long enough? Switched the GC throttle cable to the GD one. its way longer the gromet where it goes through the firewall is different BUT it fit like a glove

·
Registered
2001 Impreza GT
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
yay my timing belt came in!
WAIT
everything's made in tiawan?????????? WTF

gmb........
at least the belt itself is made in japan... pci ?
i looked up the gates kit from ebay too they're the same, gmb's pullys with a gates belt.
and i thought i recieved my pitch mount bracket for a 5 speed. nope, he sent me the pitch mount itself. read people READ!

got my whole rear subframe in. steel braided brake lines. painted the rear calipers. ohhh yessss

GOOOODIIEISSS

too many gauges?

what color to paint something that nobody will ever see? BRIGHT F***&N RED

·
Registered
2001 Impreza GT
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
today was pretty productive!

pulled the tired 2.5 out. cleaned up me engine bay and put the wrx motor in :banana:
used the ENTIRE wrx front, cross member, controll arms, knuckle, steering rack

that bar that goes around the front of the wrx is useless on a gc, just removed it and it everything works pefect.

used the entire rear subframe from the wrx as well,turns out one of my lateral links is bent. but i have the one from the GC to use.

ordering a NICE timinig belt kit, (not one that the components are made in korea)

i have pics

pullin the 2.5 out.
(pallet jack is the BEST ENGINE MOVE EVARRRRR)

pullin the chassis up over the engine

cleane up and set the wrx engine up.

follow instructions in reverse to assemble

1 - 20 of 140 Posts