Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 silver impreza 2.5rs
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I purchased my first car about 3 weeks ago, and it is a 2004 impreza 2.5rs. It is my baby. It currently has about 97.5k miles on her. I have read up on everything about my subie. And yes I have learned about the typical head gasket failure. I am hoping to god this is not it, I have been treating it the most intense care because I heard about the gasket problem, but anyway! Everytime I shut off my car I always smell coolant burning and I would like some tips on how to know that it is the head gasket (I have read up on the gasket thread an not actually have gotten a simple solution on finding it). I am going to change the radiator cap ASAP. I have been told by my uncle(mechanic) to do so and maybe check some of the hoses cause that could also be the problem. It has also been using a lot of coolant the past week. I hope it isn't the gasket because I really don't have the money Atm to fix so fingers crossed. It has been running completely fine except for the burning coolant smell and has been maintenced by a subaru dealer for everything(specially oil changes). If it happens to be the head gasket, where should I get the replacement that works? Thanks for reading and thanks ahead of time for answering! I appreciate it

·
Registered
00' 2.5RWD / 98' L Wagon
4,673 Posts
If you think you have a leak somewhere you can go to any O'Reilly's and they sell a dye. Its on the same shelf that the AC freon is on. usually about 8 bucks and you pour it in and use a black light and some glasses to find your leak. If you're worried about headgasket you can try doing a compression check as well.

·
Registered
00' 2.5RWD / 98' L Wagon
4,673 Posts
Take out the plugs and look at em, or look at your coolant/oil and see if it looks chocolatey

·
Registered
2005, RS, Crystal Grey
4 Posts
Your radiator might be cracked. Mine was doing the same, 05 RS with 176xxx miles. The top of the radiator was seperating from the radiator.

Take your car to the car wash, wash the engine and underside very very well. Drive arround to dry it all off, and the next time you get the smell, take a look and see what is wet.

A replacement off of ebay, was arround sixty dollars shipped. I have not installed it yet, here next week we will see about the fitment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts