Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I was talking with my science teacher in school one day, and we came across the topic of Lexan, a "suypposedly" bullet-proof plastic. We were talking about it's uses, and he said that they were thinking about using it as a clear coat for car paint to protect against scratches, dents, etc. I think it would be a little bit of extra weight, but it would be worth it in my opinion. Im just wondering if anyone on here has heard anything about it? thanks
moge

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
I saw a commercial for it on TV recently, just saying "Look what we might be able to do" but that was it.

Seems interesting, but who knows how well it really works after sitting in the sun for years...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i really didnt think about sun affects, or maybe oxidation after a while if it does that(i dont know), but I thought that if you got hit by a rock or a shopping cart, would this stuff crack or break ? It really doesnt give at all, so if it got smacked with enough force, i think the stuff would just shatter, and the youd be SOL.

·
Registered
2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track
5 Posts
I don't know much about Lexan but if it's like other bullet proof materials, it's bullet proof because it's able to flex. It distributes the force of the bullet across more of it's surface, so that the bullet doens't penetrate the meterial.

What that means is that it may be bullet proof, but that won't say that it won't crack or leave a small crater when it gets hit by something.

·
Registered
65 Posts
lexan is the stuff they use for R/C car bodies, maybe if someone on the board knows more about R/C they could tell us about it. I remember from my R/C days that this stuff was tough as hell and nearly imposible to cut without the right technique

1 - 5 of 5 Posts