Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I was talking with my science teacher in school one day, and we came across the topic of Lexan, a "suypposedly" bullet-proof plastic. We were talking about it's uses, and he said that they were thinking about using it as a clear coat for car paint to protect against scratches, dents, etc. I think it would be a little bit of extra weight, but it would be worth it in my opinion. Im just wondering if anyone on here has heard anything about it? thanks
moge

·
Registered
4 Posts
i dont belieive lexan is bullet proof until it is about 1"-1 1/4" thick. now the thinner stuff may stop small projectiles, but it takes alot more to stop anything big. other than that, i wouldnt see a problem with it, except whenever you got in an accident, it would take alot more to fix it.

kevin
www.evolution-auto.com

www.subee-sound.com

·
Registered
09 Legacy spec.B + 01 2.5RS
476 Posts
The applications i've seen it used in would lead me to believe it doesn't bond well with metal. I've seen it used in somewhat the fashion you're looking for, except the entire body was made of the material, much like fiberglass. I haven't seen it ever bonded to metal bodies. However, i'm no chemist..

·
Registered
123 Posts
lexan=bad for clearcoat
it scratches easily
very easily

lexan is a brand name of polycarbonite.
same stuff that pearle vision uses in their nearly unbreakable lenses... yes very strong and resistant to crackikng and penitration.

however very soft in the scratch department.
it would be very bad for clearcoat or anythign you dont' want scratched

the glasses lenses are coated w/ a scratch resistor to prevent scratching

·
Registered
18 Posts
any one have a pair of oakley sunglasses, same thing.
another thing if you want to stop scatches do not use that brush at the do it yourself place, swirl marks are formed.
oh yeah if you have a silver paintjob, get minor scratches out with a silver crayon, it works just rub it over and buff it it is gone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts