Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats good with everybody? Im new here, just registered. I was sick of wak fuckin i-clubbers tryin to make you look like an idiot if you ask a basic question, just cause I dont own a wrx. If I really wanted one that bad I'd be driving it. I own a My02 RS and new to Subarus in general. If I would have done my homework on the car I'd be driving a GC8 right now. Dont get me wrong I love my car but lets consider the whole GC8 thing as infatuation. Anyway to get to my question. I plan on getting a supercharger hopefully by early spring. What other kind of modifications are required so the 2.5 can handle that much mopre power. Any info is greatly appreciated. and no disrespect but if you feel the need to flame 'Fuck you in advance'

Aaron

·
Registered
1994 L Wagon Grey
517 Posts
<-- has a 2002 2.5rs. This is not GM6 GC6 website, but a RS website :D

Neways, I would assume your a manual (I am an auto) But basically I would suggest looking at new clutch and flywheel. If your an auto, your basically good till you pass the 270 hp mark. Around 300 HP the trans will need work done. But I would suggest if your an auto is to get a trans cooler from pep bys (hayden 403) its an easy install.

If you plan on going big HP numbers your going to want to build up your internals. To do that is BIG money. If your planning on that, you will need rods, heads, valve spings, cams, pistons and a few other items.

But if your planning on going with 4-6 psi. I would suggest some good engine management. For tha I would suggest Haltec or Tec 2 (or tec 3 if you got some money to spend, but that is never the case)

realy, I would say besides trans work, ECU, the thing to get is Brakes. I went with the OEM 4 pot upgrade that the rex guys do and I am also looking at the h6 brake upgrade in the back. I believe if your going to go fast, you need to stop fast too. The OEM will only last so long.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask, hopefully I can answer then for you. If not, I am sure "our" group of brains will be able to figgure it out.

-Neal

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS coupe (9/01-1/04)
236 Posts
Weakest link on your car is the cheap stock tires. Get something with stiffer sidewalls & better grip.

You might want to get an exhaust system that flows more freely than stock, because after you add the s/c that will probably be the bottleneck.

Since nobody's running Templar's kit yet, I'd say just sit tight & wait for it to be done, and then we'll find out what else you'll need. You shouldn't need to modify your engine to prep it for the s/c , unless you want to turn up the boost alot. In that case, build the internals like you were running a turbo. (low compression pistons, strengthened rods & valves, upgraded fuel pump & injectors.) Templar claims his kit will include just about everything you'll need, so I'd just save up the $3K so you can get it when it's ready. It might end up costing more too (things usually happen that way), so be prepared for that.

-s-

·
Registered
229 Posts
Doctornick pretty much summed it up.

Figure out what you are willing to spend and then ask a few more questions. Maybe give us a list of the things you plan to do or have already done.

4 - 6psi and you will be able to get by with stock internals but will most definitely need good fuel/engine management. Somewhere around 10psi + you will be riding the edge of what the stock pistons can handle. I've "heard" that the rods can take around 350hp. Is this right all? The auto tranny can handle almost up to 400hp without mods except the tranny cooler which you will need anyway. The manual tranny is another beast all together. I have an auto but have read so many stories about people breaking their gears and clutches slipping.

If you have an auto, there are a few things you can do to it as well, such as a "Level 10" or "Pro Torque" torque converter and valve body job. If you have a manual get a good clutch and take it easy on the gears.

A lot of us will be going S/C come spring time. That's about the time that Cobb and Kent will be done with their kits.

Personally I'll be looking into a Link management system. Just my preference, that's all.

Shawn

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys. Thanks alot for the replys. I was happy to see my question wasnt met with the normal 'shouldnt this be in the newbie forum' and 'If you wanted HP why didnt you just get a WRX'...so again....Thanks. Right now I'm running stock (5spd). Only modifications so far have been suspension related. Before I started to do anything with the engine I wanted to get some advice from others. Was not sure where I should start. I didnt want to go and spend a bunch of money and in the long run not be worth it. Im going to start saving for everything and hopefully s/c buy early spring. I probably wont touch the engine until then. The brakes Dr.Nick suggested will probably be next. Should I also start with the basics? (intake, exhaust. headers?) What are your thoughts on the different kits coming out? Thanks again\
Aaron

·
Registered
229 Posts
The two kits that I know of (DNT Performance aka Templar and Cobb Tuning) are different from each other. Templar's is using a centrifugal S/C and Cobb I believe will be using a roots type S/C. Templar's will have a Stage 1 and maybe Stage 2 with intercooler where as Cobb's I don't think will. Cobb's is going to be non-intercooled and run around 5-6psi. It's not going to make major horsepower but should be very stable. Almost like a nice factory Ford S/C. This isn't to say Templar's S/C won't be stable but his is more for the enthusiast who might be looking to get the most out of their engine. Both kits will be awesome to say the least.

Don't worry about the intake. If you're going S/C then save the money on the CAI for something else. A free'er flowing exhaust would be a good start. A 2.5" exhaust system would definitely help but before adding the S/C you would definitely feel a degradation in low-end torque. My personal recommendation would be a set of Borla, Brullen, TWE or MRT headers with hi-flow cat and 2.25" or 2.5" cat back system. To large a primary on a header will hurt performance on a Turbo but not on a S/C.

In a nut shell:

1. Get the exhaust system worked out.
2. Get a few items to help monitor EGT's, Air/Fuel Ratio and engine status.
3. Better clutch.
4. Better brakes.
5. Engine Management System. Might not need for Cobb's and Templar might be recommending one with his. (Or it will be in the purchase price. I don't remember.)
6. I'm sure I'm forgetting something else.

Shawn

·
Registered
41 Posts
another SC kit looks to almost ready...is from www.subaruplanet.com

quote from...

http://forums.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=257731

From ImprezaRS dot com

From what I have seen, everything but the intake is done on the autorotor supercharger kit.

Braden is doing the fitting on his 2.5L motor and took out his STi motor so he can be testing the SC on his own car soon.

Larry
Dont know the specs...but it looks like we will be having a couple of choices....:happynow:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts