Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 impreza coupe, 03 WRX wagon
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so maybe its because its late and my mind likes to travel, but I had a thought.. I dunno about other people but I like the convenience some newer, higher-end cars have with the built-in usb, and the built-in aux input. I currently have a audio aux cable running from the back of my head unit, under the center consol and coming up next to my ebrake. I could easily remedy this with a step drill and hot glue, sure...

My main interest (as the title indicates) is the idea of hard wiring a usb port to charge a cellphone/ipod or whatever other usb device you would charge with your cigarette outlet. I know its not as easy as just hooking up a couple t-taps to a pre-existing power source, anyone have any experience or input on the subject? Ill be doing my own research tomorrow, I need to get some sleep. If I can manage to make this idea work and not set fire to myself or worse my impreza, I could write my first diy :clap:

·
Registered
2000 Impreza OBS
193 Posts
I know the Mighty Car Mods guys on youtube set up a built in ipad into a legacy and converted the cigarette lighter into a usb charger, its not the install you are looking for, but I believe part of it has what you want. Best of luck, hope I helped.
iPad Dash Install - YouTube

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know the Mighty Car Mods guys on youtube set up a built in ipad into a legacy and converted the cigarette lighter into a usb charger, its not the install you are looking for, but I believe part of it has what you want. Best of luck, hope I helped.
iPad Dash Install - YouTube
I gotta admit I think I may have liked that idea more than I should have, I watched the entire video and now Im curious how much a used android tablet can be found for:biglaugh: I suppose if nothing else their power plan would work, I may take that route.

That too would make a very good point, Im really wondering where I could tie power in from, as I would like a constant power source. I really don't wanna tap the radio constant, if nothing else I could run a new line from the battery itself? I dunno. Have to consider options. There goes my diy tho :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
If all you want is to charge from a USB port (not get audio out, as that's more complicated unless you're talking specific devices), the simple solution is a LM7805 voltage regulator (the "05" part of 7805 denotes fixed +5V output). I would tap into the cigarette lighter's 12V power, one so it's switched, two so it's fused, run that to the regulator (I can give you an application-specific schematic) and then out to the appropriate pin on a female USB plug (obviously the ground on the USB runs to the car's ground). That way you still have an open lighter socket if you need it for something, but the USB is still switched.

According to pinouts.ru, USB's pin 1 (red wire) is VCC, +5V, and pin 4 is GND (black wire) (stick with the wire colors and you'll be fine):

(Note this is the male side, so a female connector is reversed.)

Basic 7805 circuit:

Digi-key should have all the parts, your local RadioShack will have everything but the female USB connector at increased cost (though they likely have a USB extension wire you could cannibalize).

And since you specifically asked in the OP, I have two gauges and my LC-1 Wideband running off the cigarette lighter's 12V line, as well as the lighting for the gauges run off the ashtray light. FWIW, I was likely going to do this 7805 setup, but at first I got a GPS-mount for my iPod, then a radio that has two USB ports that will charge and play from my iPhone (Bluetooth too, so if I don't need GPS or the battery isn't low, I can leave the phone in my pocket and still get music, Pandora and phone).

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,795 Posts
$25 plus shipping...

Or $4 from Radioshack. $20 if you need a soldering iron, I guess.

There's plenty of people who will pay 20 bucks rather than solder something. Maybe not you or me, but for some this is a worthwhile option. I'm sure there are cheaper options available on amazon as well, I paid ~$6 for the one I have in my car.

Besides, a picture is worth a thousand words.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
I agree. The picture may be slightly misleading if you compare the size of the USB port to the packaging but I'm sure it's a little board in a big box.

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,261 Posts
I have thought about doing the same, although going one step further. Why hard install a USB female and still fiddle with a cord when you could install the cord itself?

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
That's what I have installed for my cell phone dock. Hardwired micro-USB connector feeding off of a constant 12v.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what I have installed for my cell phone dock. Hardwired micro-USB connector feeding off of a constant 12v.
I honestly considered this, but I was worried with how flimsy the gs3 sits in the dock that I would end up snapping a connection if I went over a pothole :wtf: that and the gs3 with the otterbox case does not fit in the charging dock and I havent taken the time to hack up the dock with a dremel

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
I honestly considered this, but I was worried with how flimsy the gs3 sits in the dock that I would end up snapping a connection if I went over a pothole :wtf: that and the gs3 with the otterbox case does not fit in the charging dock and I havent taken the time to hack up the dock with a dremel

I have the Droid Razr MAXX HD with the Motorola dock and the phone fits like a glove, I don't use a case though. Also my dock has a built in connector for the phone and the power plugs into the dock so everything is very secure.

Ultimately I'm going to install an in dash tablet and do away with the phone dock completely but that's a ways down the road.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
I wouldn't want to hardwire a specific cable in because it could exclude friends' phones. A USB port is simply going to be more flexible.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wouldn't want to hardwire a specific cable in because it could exclude friends' phones. A USB port is simply going to be more flexible.
That's what Im thinking, a usb port that is built in rather than occupying the lighter socket. I don't smoke, but that's why I have a factory cover for it. I hate having unnecessary stuff cluttering my operating space, like a bulky charger always there.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Granted I wanna make mine look like a factory option, but that setup.. that definitely counts :clap: I will definitely have to look into your pc build thread, I started one in my eclipse but sold it soon after.

·
Registered
'01 L-wag BRP
239 Posts
I'm planning on putting a qi charger under the console directly in front of the shifter. that space fits my phone perfectly and no plugs is awesome.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts