Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 2.5RS 5speed Coupe, Silver
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

First off sorry, I know there are threads like this all over the place but I couldn't quite find what I'm looking for. There's just so much info on swaps here I cant sort through it all to find answers to my concerns. Ironic, I know, because this thread contributes to the problem.

I have a 99 rs coupe with a stock 253 with 93k miles through it. I would like to do a 02-05 wrx swap, but I'm hesitant to get into any sort of wiring. wiring is black magic f**kery as far as im concerned. I know I could ship my harness of to iWire, but I want a job I could do for cheap, on my own.

Basically I want 200+ HP with as simple of a job as possible. I see there is an AVO turbo kit claiming to be fine with a stock engine if under 6 pounds, but if I were to do that, I would still feel better having a slightly built block.

I plan on preemptively doing my head gasket next year since they havent been done ever, and it gave me an idea. While I have the engine out, would it be worth it to upgrade the pistons and rods, and then piecing together a low boost turbo set up, rather than going for a full swap and dealing with all of the electronic shenanigans? Building the block is something I feel totally capable of doing. I'm thinking of going for stock 257 rods and pistons, and using the 253 block and heads. Would the heads need any modifications? Spacers to lower CR? Would using the 253 heads just be a downright bad idea?

If I built and then turbo'd the 253, I wouldn't need much, if anything, in terms of wiring harness modifications, after building the block it would still plug and play just like the stock 253 right?

Could I just get a boost controller, and fuel management unit, slap the built ej253 in, do oil and coolant lines for the turbo set up, and be good to go?

I feel like I'm overlooking something as I've never turbo'd or done any swaps before. It cant be as simple as upgrade engine internals, set up turbo kit, and profit, can it?

Thanks for the insight my good people.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,777 Posts
Way overthinking it. Slap a turbo on it. Search for the "Turboing your car" thread and read it through, twice. Definitely don't split your block.

·
Registered
07OBS
60 Posts
Delta cams, high compression pistons and better valve springs would get you in the area of 200 or more. But you may need to upgrade the injectors and fuel pump. Adding a lightweight pulley and a header with 2 1/2" exhaust would get you over that. Adding a turbo or supercharger is quite a task for the gains it provides especially on a tight budget. You'll need to run premium fuel and more of it whichever option you choose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts