Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have raced my car a couple of times in H-Stock becouse i have a OBS.

I made the "mistake" of putting a RS bumper on my car, which i found out i can't run in stock class.

I am slightlly confused between building a SM car and a DSP car.

First question: Am i being stupid in wanting to build a DSP wagon?

Should i build up a reliable EJ25 or a transmision killing high boosted EJ22T?

3rd: Can i do a motor swap and be in DSP or should i just go SM?

Or should i just be happy in H-stock?

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
If you check the rulebook and the OBS is on the same line as the Impreza RS, then you can legally swap in a 2.5 and run it in DSP. I honestly didn't see it in the listing though. HS goes to FSP, so you can check there also.

If it were my money, I'd build for SM and have the car you really want vs. building for D,FSP where you're limited on engine mods and brake mods, etc....

FWIW...the nationally competitive cars (in D,FSP) have all been built to roadracings IT specs, effectively making our efforts fruitless. It can be done....but it's gonna be a major uphill battle.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I made the "mistake" of putting a RS bumper on my car, which i found out i can't run in stock class.
STS and STX both allow "body kits" so you'd be legal there. In fact, SP doesn't have a "body kit" rule, so that may not even be legal there.

I am slightlly confused between building a SM car and a DSP car.
Both DSP and SM are "R-compound" classes, where STS/STX are "street tire" classes so you may want to keep that in mind.

Brief overview (I'm sure I forgot a lot of rules, but http://www.moutons.org has most of the rules online:

STS allows suspension work, intake, headers, catback, short shift kit, braided brake lines, any reclining seat, OE-size rotors (incl. slotted/crossdrilled), wheels up to 7.5" wide, tires up to 225mm. body kits (exc. some parts like hoods)...(keep in mind that the AWD cars may be kicked out of STS as soon as STX becomes an "official" class).

STX allows everything STS does plus LSDs (for 2WD cars...AWD cars must maintain stock diffs), "bolt up" brake upgrades, non-reclining seat that "don't have a solid shell" (very confusing rule on seats in STX), wheels up to 8" wide, tires up to 235mm (though 245mm has been proposed as well...not really an issue on GC8 cars anyway...lol), high-flow cats.

SP allows STS mods minus some allowances (like body kits, slotted/drilled brake rotors (this is possibly changing though)), and adds LSDs, any seats, no tire width/wheel width limitations, exhaust is free (cats do NOT have to be maintained for SP).

SM allows all SP mods plus drivetrain is free (except engine must be from the same company...in other words, you must use a "Subaru" engine), hoods, fenders, trunklids, bumpers, etc. all free, forced induction is permitted.

3rd: Can i do a motor swap and be in DSP or should i just go SM?
Unless you could somehow squeeze it in to the rules as an "update/backdate" (and even then probably only go up to the 2.5L engine), then it is definitely SM for engine swaps.

I assume you have a pre-'02 OBS (and thus have the 2.2L) as you are in H-Stock now. It's funny, I assumed your SP classing would be in FSP as the only Impreza classifications are "Impreza 2.5L" in DSP and "Impreza (NOC)" in FSP (according to the '02 SCCA Solo Rulebook), BUT the site I mentioned above has "Impreza 2.2L" listed under DSP also!? Does anyone know if this was in a Fastrack or something? Even more confusing is that it's listed on the site as a "change from 2001" NOT a "change from 2002", but it's not in my '02 rulebook!?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well after i ran yesterday, i got 5th out of 14 in H-stock and if i had not hit a cone would have been 3rd. i think i will start building a SM car when i learn how to drive stock class more consitantly.

why go faster if i can go too fast right now?

But not knowing what class i should be in DSP or FSP sucks but i would go SM when i go to the next level.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
If you don't have a 2.5, you're in FSP. DSP lists the 2.5 Impreza only. Where FSP lists all other Imprezas (NOC).

I would encourage driving what you have to the limits, then worry about going faster.

Now if I could only heed my own advice.......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
100 Posts
The 2.5 isn't all that much of an improvement to begin with, especially if you are pay oddles of money to swap it in. The only real benifit is availability of aftermarket parts. 20 horsepower is not worth an engine swap. So I would say go for an EJ20T or EJ22T if you are going through the effort. But as far as autocrossing goes, just make sure you are having fun and learning...don't feel you can't modify your car how you want to and can afford to because of autocrossing. If you can't afford it...problem solved..stay in H-Stock!! :happynow:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:happynow: I won H-stock by 3 secounds on sunday.

it rained the night going in and the track was cold and a bit damp.
my Kuhmo Escta V700 didn't hook up quite how i like them, So my rear was steping out super fast.

It was probley my best runs in a long time.

the kyb agx frounts i picked up from COBB when i was out there worked awsome and there not much stiffer on "1" then the rs struts i had on my car.

all in all i had a good day and was fastest in my class on every run. I also got 3rd in novice class and 18th over all everything faster then me were Mazdas, corvets, and s2000.

2.2L of furry and the only car in AWD "Let it rain!"
:D

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Awesome job! You obviously made full use of the AWD on the cold damp surface. Good driving helps too!

Keep up the good work!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts