Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes this is the same thread with a different title. I figured, only 24 people even looked at it, maybe its needs a new heading............For those of you that don't know, the '90-94 legacy is on almost the same platform as the GC8.

I have just aquired a '90 legacy wagon 5sp AWD. I plan on making a JDM drifting machine out of it. There is only 1 problem with that. I haven't been able to find pics of any of these yet. Could you guys plese let me know if you kow where some might be.

This is what I have for the car so far,

2000 RS wheels with re 92's
4 fairly new spare RE 92's
BPM exaust
Parts to build a intake with
'02 WRX struts and springs
'00 RS springs (might use these because I think they're stiffer)
WRX rear sway bar
Sway-a-way 20mm front sway bar
1 set of 5 point harnasses
'00 RS stearing wheel
Carbon Fiber shift knob
Supplys and equipment to do a roll cage

So far this is all stuff I have laying around. Here is a l;ist of what I still need.

1 racing seat-black
24mm rear sway bar
better spring and struts than what I listed above
any JDM parts that would go on the car ( headlights and tail lights if they are differant)
1 Drivers side front door
Front windshield
JDM drifter style stickers to put all over it

If you guys can help me find or get some of these things it would greatly help out. I will post pics as the build goes together.

sean

·
Registered
02 Impreza RS Blue Ridge Pearl
122 Posts
Do you want pictures of a legacy wagon (stock, non-stock) or pictures of the parts that you need?

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,958 Posts
want seats?

i got seats out of a 95 impreza. Seats are in a very very good shape, almost new (if not new)

i got seatbelts out of a 95, sidepanels, rear panels (dont know if they'll fit, or if you want em...

Will let them go for xtremely cheap.

Alex-

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ellsworth said:
Do you want pictures of a legacy wagon (stock, non-stock) or pictures of the parts that you need?
I would love to see pics of '90-94 lagacy's fixed up and stock but JDM, and any pics of japanesse drifting cars. I want some ideas for stickers and other JDM drifting stuff to copy.

sean

·
General pain in the ass
3,958 Posts
hey, i got some Type R stickers for your ROOF!! :happynow: :p

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dude.........I was in Pep Boys today and saw a chrome plastic type R badge.......................I thought it might be funny...............then I woke up:barf:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Get the sparco sprint seats if your going to get FIA aproved seats they run for about $219 new and are awsome.

For a drift machine 2 words "Lotsa Power" which is why i have been looking for a toyota Supra but they lots of money.

Heres a drift pic with some cool stickers.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool pics!!! I've gotten quite good at drifting the RS even with the small amount of power I have. But if I can keep the car in one peice long enough I plan on a Japan spec turbo motor and conversion to RWD.

Post more pics if you have them.

sean

·
General pain in the ass
3,958 Posts
Are you on crack!??!

Why the hell would you want to convert your car to RWD??

Besides with Jap motor how are you gonna do that? tranny has a diff built in to it.

I know you didnt ask me, but it's stupid idea, it kinda defeats the whole purpose of Subaru and Impreza. Hell, buy a 240 SX slap a skyline engine in it, go NUTS.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
RotarFreak said:
Are you on crack!??!

Why the hell would you want to convert your car to RWD??

Besides with Jap motor how are you gonna do that? tranny has a diff built in to it.

I know you didnt ask me, but it's stupid idea, it kinda defeats the whole purpose of Subaru and Impreza. Hell, buy a 240 SX slap a skyline engine in it, go NUTS.
Easier to drift with RWD than AWD, less power loss, and it will be different than the other drifting machines, plus it a Subaru. Remember, he doesn't want to rally this thing, he wants to drift it, and you don't need AWD for drifting. Weld the center diff and remove the front drive shafts, or I think Cobb can hook you up with a center diff thingy that makes it RWD. Anyways, I like it, keep us updated on how it's going.:D

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
drifting is all about having just enough traction, awd is about having a plethora of traction, though i did have a huge drift at the auto-x on sunday. the lot was drying out but still quite wet in the corners and well, when bald ass race tires hit standing water, the fun begins :eek: luckily it was a 120* corner so all that unexpected rotation was put to a good use :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
you can run the cusco tranny from japan and it will be rear wheel drive with 6 gears.

I think my next car will be a '95 'L' with a EJ22T and the cusco tranny :devil:

I was going to do it to my wagon but then i rembered if i blew the motor i would have to ride my bike to work untill i could fix my one car.

two cars are better then one right?:biggest:

I think RWD is a Awsome idea AWD and RWD will always be the better choices.

·
General pain in the ass
3,958 Posts
well, if you got a shitload of money to burn i can see how making something original could be fun, it does defeat the whole purpose of impreza though.

Also look at it from a different point of view. The car is not balanced too well front to back, but having AWD fixes that (to a point) The power curve of flat engines is aimed towards low end torque, that's a great benefit for awd, but seems a great waste on RWD. Your rear diff will have to be changes to handle all the torque, and dont forget that even sti diff is geared for max speed of 130, and geared for awd... I honestly think you've living in a dream land of "if i could i would"

I used to have RX7, and it was a breaze to kick the tail out, but it was a bitch to get it back into control. On my Impreza i was busting some moves that i would never dream of doing on my 7, allthough i could not spin my tires through 3rd gear :D...hell i can barely spin them in first.

Any way... if i ever finish my conversion i am sure you can finish yours...

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
RotarFreak said:
well, if you got a shitload of money to burn i can see how making something original could be fun, it does defeat the whole purpose of impreza though.

TMRRALLY said:
I have just aquired a '90 legacy wagon 5sp AWD. I plan on making a JDM drifting machine out of it.

Legacy Wagon, not an Impreza. It should have more even weight didtribution than the Impreza, I think.

·
General pain in the ass
3,958 Posts
i dont know how much legacy and wrx have in common, but wrx wagon is more prone to losing traction then wrx because of the weight in the back.

i assume the same applies to legacy. All though if you want to kick the rear out, that would be beneficial.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, guys, I didn't mean to start a debate. I am very use to drifting my impreza on the tarmac and the dirt. I do think it is very fun to drift with the AWD. One of the only reasons I even considered the RWD conversion was because a few people had brought it up to me. I just figured when it was time to overhawl the trans, I might as well have some fun and start welding parts together and make it a RWD. I think it would be easier to drift and I would get a kick out of seeing some nice smokey burn outs coming from the back wheels of a Subaru.

Either way, i'm taking it out on it's first mountain trip tomarrow. I will start making plans after I see how it does.

sean

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
939 Posts
RWD conversions have been discussed before on that other club., but I don't think anyone's built up their car as a permanent RWD car yet. They just convert temporarily for 2wd dynos. I'd like to see it done though. You could throw in a cheap domestic tranny that should have no trouble holding tons of torque. :)

·
General pain in the ass
3,958 Posts
you know.... i 've been reading about differentials on how stuff works, and i would think that you can get an interlockable diff, and just always run it in open. that would make the car rwd. and when you want you'll just make it awd again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts