Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
99 SF, 93 L,
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yah, cheesy. But I need some feedback.

I need to decide which motor I'm going to use and stick with it. This will be going into a locost car and I need to finish my frame design with a specific motor in mind. I'm aware Subaru engines are similar in sizes, etc. but this is important; I need to know how the hell I'm going to route everything in a car I imagine will be a pretty tight fit.

Here is a guide line:

Car will be either LHD or RHD... it won't matter.
Motor should be cheap (<$2000)
-Easily attainable
-Decent HP
-parts are readily available

What about transmission? Use an AWD transmission or use an FWD transmission mounted in the rear?

· Registered
Steel Grey WRX Limited
3,324 Posts
when you say locost you mean a lotus 7 replica, correct? i'd be looking to put in an EJ20 out of a 02-05 wrx. they have a good amount of power and are fairly easy to come by. you could put in an EJ25 out of an RS but it just wouldn't make the kind of power i know you're wanting. might save you some money but you won't get the power.

i'd be concerned about the width of the boxer engine in a locost engine bay. all the locost's i've seen are using an inline 4 or 6 because of it's narrowness. that's the reason most people use the 1.8l BP out of a miata. i think if you get into putting a boxer in one you're gonna have to make the entire front of the car significantly wider. something to consider. another failry common engine in the locost is the SR20 and the 12A rotary.

as for the gearbox, if you do plan on going with boxer why not just use a subaru tranny. you could go the AWD route or you can get the center diff welded and convert it into a RWD tranny. all you'd really need to do is plug the front driveshaft holes in the gearbox and get a custom driveshaft for the rear wheels. just make sure the rear diff had an LSD. cusco even makes a center diff that converts the gearbox to RWD if i'm not mistaken.

· Registered
99 SF, 93 L,
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yah, when I say "locost" I meant the 'Locost idea'. The lotus 7 replica frame is aka "standard frame" in locost land... but yeah, I'm going to design my own frame and make it wider. I don't think the boxer engine would fit without fabing it some on the standard frame (but then I'm still unsure).

I've been thinking a JDM EJ20R for a little while... fairly cheap and no clearance issues. Still just a thought though. I was playing with the idea of putting the engine in the rear and using an L (FWD) tranny. Anyway, more suggestions please.

oh, on a side note, I'd like to try to minimize aftermarket parts for the time being (diffs, gears, etc.) I'm really trying to do the "locost" budget for my first build. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.