Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I bought a 2002 rs with 141K on the clock. Motor is solid, Trans is good......that's kinda it....
Car was purchased for the intent of a 1000 mile off-road challenge
The challenge does have a budget attached to it $2500
Purchased car for $1300
It is automatic (Barf I Know)

Check engine codes:
P0031 - O2
P1442 - Replaced both left (sending unit) and right side (fuel pump side) Still reading weird fuel levels....Possible bad ground?!?!?!
P0037 - O2
P0328 - Knock sensor (Easy enough)

AWD not working
Car is currently jacked up all 4 off the ground
Understanding the ratio of the auto awd I should have some power 10% at the very least to the back wheels I should have movement.... I dont
I check and changed rear diff fluid... shaft does spin the back wheels when grabbing it spinning it under the car..
Thus I have no power going to.....
Now the axles are leaking and it may be on fluid so tomorrow I am gonna open the chest of the beast some more....
Speedo works. fuse is not in.
Anyone else seen this and what they did to fix?!

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS+T 2001 Legacy GT
1,234 Posts
Three of those codes could be O2 sensor or circuit related, I recommend replacing both front and rear as a pair. OE or Denso sensors, or you'll keep having issues. The fuel level sensor should be on the main pump side and that's likely where your fourth code is coming from, replacing the pump itself won't fix the issue.

For P0031 and P0037, start here: 2002TurboO2SensorCircuit.pdf

The center differential is a hydraulic unit and you generally don't get movement from the rear while it's in the air even in gear. Sometimes you'll get movement from the rear in park while the fronts are stationary, but not often. Best way to test the AWD is find a wet or dirt road and go WOT from a stand still. The front tires should only break traction for a split second before the rears start pushing you. I took a slow-mo video of my automatic in action.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update:
I got into the transfer case yesterday.... Clutch pack looks good VC looks good
When hand spinning front tires i do have movement to the CV and also at the output shaft
Bench tested the AWD Solenoid w/ the valve body as this is a magnet system...No movement in the valve body so i believe this is my issue.

I did try it in snow and in rocks and nothing in the rear...def nothing like your video

Was gonna start with the front o2 sensors and work back my thought also

I did replace both sides sending unit and pump side with a junkyard set that ohm'd out right fuel level is reading better still kinda off but close.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
31942AA103
Here is the part number for the VALVE ASSY TRANSFER CLUTCH
also fits:

SubaruBaja2003
  • 4 Cyl 2.5L SOHC EMPI NA, 6 Cyl 3.0L DOHC EMPI NA
BAJA, BAJA-S, BRIGHTON, GT, GT LIMITED, L, OUT BACK, OUT BACK COLD WEATHER, OUT BACK FLAT6, OUT BACK FLAT6 L.L.BEAN, OUT BACK LIMITED, SUS(OUT BACK) FLAT6, SUS(OUT BACK) LIMITED
SubaruForester1999-2003
  • 4 Cyl 2.5L SOHC EMPI NA, 4 Cyl 2.5L SOHC NA
2.5X, 2.5XS, L, S
SubaruImpreza1999-2004
  • 4 Cyl 2.0L DOHC EMPI TURBO, 4 Cyl 2.2L SERIES, 4 Cyl 2.5L SOHC EMPI NA
BRIGHTON, L, OUTBACK, RS, TS, WRX
SubaruImpreza STI2004
  • 4 Cyl 2.0L DOHC EMPI TURBO, 4 Cyl 2.5L SOHC EMPI NA
OUTBACK, RS, TS, WRX
SubaruImpreza WRX2002-2004
  • 4 Cyl 2.0L DOHC EMPI TURBO, 4 Cyl 2.5L SOHC EMPI NA
OUTBACK, RS, TS, WRX
SubaruLegacy1999-2003
  • 4 Cyl 2.2L SERIES, 4 Cyl 2.5L DOHC EMPI NA, 4 Cyl 2.5L SOHC EMPI NA, 6 Cyl 3.0L DOHC EMPI NA
BAJA, BAJA-S, BRIGHTON, GT, GT LIMITED, L, OUT BACK, OUT BACK COLD WEATHER, OUT BACK FLAT6, OUT BACK FLAT6 L.L.BEAN, OUT BACK LIMITED, POST, SUS, SUS(OUT BACK) FLAT6, SUS(OUT BACK) LIMITED
SubaruOutback1999-2003
  • 4 Cyl 2.2L SERIES, 4 Cyl 2.5L DOHC EMPI NA, 4 Cyl 2.5L SOHC EMPI NA, 6 Cyl 3.0L DOHC EMPI NA
BAJA, BAJA-S, BRIGHTON, GT, GT LIMITED, L,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts