Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a bug deflector at the local Subaru dealer 2 months ago. It didn't come with the hardware or installation instructions so I requested that they order in the hardware for it. After very many phone calls to them and 2 months later, I finally got the hardware but no instructions. I called and asked them to fax the instructions to me. I don't feel like waiting another 2 months to get this on so I was hoping someone out there might have the instructions. Thanks

·
OG GC
MY00 BRP RS...still adding to
4,471 Posts
Simple!
The two *tabs* with the holes in them go under the hood. There should be two screws under there that hold down the rubber lining. The *tabs* have those two screws, actually go through them. You're done with that part.
Next, you should have two plastic clips the shape of an M. These hold and separate the deflector to the hood. (I'm in terrible need in one of these :( ) That make sense? I hope so. Once those are done, you will need to add clear rubber pads on the ends of the guard. This will prevent the ends from scraping your paint to hell, when driving.
That, My friend, is about it! ;)
How much did the stealership charge you for a set of these clips?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They didnt end up charging me for the clips cause they were supposed to come with the deflector in the first place. I believe they sell the set of clips for about
16 bucks. They charged me 112.90 for the deflector clips included. Thanks for the info btw it sounds easy enough.

·
OG GC
4,471 Posts
$16....WTF?!?1!1!! :eek:mg: I'm gonna have to see what I can fabricate. That's just ridiculous.
But eitherway, enjoy it on! It saved my hood from a few rocks! :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
any idea what bolt size/thread pitch is needed? i bought a used deflector as well, and although it came with clips, I'm having the darndest time finding the right bolt to use.

·
Registered
232 Posts
i was kinda afraid of that. good thing you dont have to worry about rust. i think i'll use a lil teflon tape to keep the water out of the threads

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not too sure about the proper screws because as it turns out they sent me the wrong damn hardware. I guess it'll be even a few more weeks till I get this deflector on.

·
Registered
232 Posts
they sent you the wrong M clips?

btw, my M clips have a thin plastic insert to protect the hood paint when you clip it on. if your hardware doesnt come with one, id suggest just making it or using some 3M tape where the clips will go

·
OG GC
4,471 Posts
i was kinda afraid of that. good thing you dont have to worry about rust. i think i'll use a lil teflon tape to keep the water out of the threads
No rust? :lol: Dude...I start to sweat my ass off as soon as I walk outside...in february!!! :eek: I used a bit of clear silicone in the threads. Seals it right up! ;)

·
Registered
'00 RS | '05 Legacy
583 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread but I was having a hell of time trying to install this with the POS instructions (as typical for Subaru :bonk: ). Where exactly do the M clips go? They attach to the hood and the deflector? So they go in between?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you have the proper kit, installation should be pretty simple. I was given the wrong kit with my deflector at first and i had the same problem. I'll try to upload some pics of mine to show where the M clips go.

·
Registered
'00 RS | '05 Legacy
583 Posts
Hmm, that looks different from mine. They probably changed it from 01-06. It looks like I could just screw in the two holes for the deflector and don't need to the M clips, which is why I'm confused as to what they do.

·
OG GC
4,471 Posts
Hmm, that looks different from mine. They probably changed it from 01-06. It looks like I could just screw in the two holes for the deflector and don't need to the M clips, which is why I'm confused as to what they do.
The same deflector should be the same for a 93-01. As for 02+... :confused:
Although, if I'm not mistaken, from the looks of RootRunner's pic, that is an 06-07 hood. If you see to the left of his hand, there is a black small piece. That is the M clip I was talking about. The rubber lining he is pulling back holds one of the two pieces of the guard that have holes in them. This is where you'd anchor the guard to the hood with the screws. And if I'm not mistaking, that is the exact same as mine. ;) FWIW, I have a MY00... :D

·
Registered
'00 RS | '05 Legacy
583 Posts
Ok, so the M clip goes about half way between the anchor point and the edge of the hood. I'll have to look at it again later today or tomorrow. Thanks for both of your help!! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts