Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1001 - 1020 of 1551 Posts

·
Registered
EJ205 1996 Brighton coupe
663 Posts
That is fucking sweeeeet.

PS, I do aluminum casting design for a living, that looks like a pretty good hollow core.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,003
I would like to, but that massive pile of parts means that I need to sell some stuff off first... and finish a few projects. Current project list includes:

Rear disk brake conversion (by the end of the week)
Stage 2 the EG33 (by june)
Supercharge the EG (By july)
R200 the rear end (By next june)
Make quadcopter (Before Sno*Drift)
Make a small CNC tabletop mill for the garage (during winter)
Learn to weld (eventually)
Create/sell some custom low-production CNC parts (think a battery tiedown with your username engraved on it, or aluminum strut spacers, or EG33 alternator relocation brackets). (After I get that mill up and running)

So yeah, suspension mods are therefore put on hold. I'm good with what i've got for now!
Man, was I optimistic on this timeline! :lol:

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,006
also, I may be switching back to the t-bird supercharger snout to move it further forward (and give me more room for the throttle body).

I'll admit, this is gonna take a while. I'm going to be playing with it for a few weeks probably.

And i'm still playing around with megasquirt. I'll probably hook up my spare IAC this weekend and see what happens.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,009 (Edited)
Build a custom manifold. There will be a plate on the bottom to connect the bottom of the runners with the top of the supercharger, and a plate on the top to connect the tops of the runners (and a parts tray mebbe). Then some cylinders for the top 4 bolts of the supercharger (to keep the bolts separated from the airflow). A couple of end plates and the intake is complete. Then it's just the throttle body and bypass tube to work on.

The original plan was to just put flat plates on what I've got cut off, cut holes in the back, and route the intercooler all crazy-like. However I'm running short on time, and it's already a very difficult design, so I'm skipping the intercooler for now.

·
Registered
EJ205 1996 Brighton coupe
663 Posts
I was just wondering (I'm sure you thought of this), but is the supercharger upside down form the layout it was designed to be? The lubrication of the gears may be effected if it is. Just curious I guess.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,011
That's a good question!

Actually, it's an interesting question. The Thunderbird/supercoupe M90 is mounted inverted compared to the Grand Prix M90. In the thunderbird, the supercharger blows UP like so (the box on top is the outlet, which then channels air to the intercooler, and back underneath that pipe to the intake, which you can see behind the charge pipe):

In the Grand Prix, it's blowing down like so:

So I don't think it really matters. The supercoupe did have little flaps below the gears to keep them oiled better, but it also had a spring-loaded drive gear jobber (what connects the driveshaft to the gears). So I'm betting it was an all-around better made (more expensive) unit.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,019
What pressure you looking to shove down your eg's throat un-cooled?
I honestly have no idea. I'm going to run a 3" pulley and quit worrying about how much boost. However much it makes, I can tune for it. And my injectors should be large enough as well. I'm RANDOMLY guessing 8psi.

1001 - 1020 of 1551 Posts