Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

141 - 160 of 295 Posts

·
Banned
1993 Nissan Skyline GTR32
200 Posts
These pictures just went "down" - I seen them up a week ago. Anyone have them saved?? Can anyone please re-upload it :(

·
Registered
97 Acadia Green OBS
126 Posts
So here's my take.

Brydon is THE MAN. Let's get that out of the way first.

So I pulled my 97 OBS harness out of the car. I sat there looking at it and thinking that I could do it in car, but really, just take the extra 15 minutes and pull it. You need to recharge your AC and flush your heater core anyways.

The 97 ECU pins out the same as a 98 RS (Per both FSMs). The only "extra" wires I ended up with are the various fuel pressure, temperature, small light, drain valve... All the ones that are unused on the 98. I'm going to assume that the car will run fine without those connected to something?.

As far as merging everything within 5-7" of the ECU so you can access your wiring without pulling the heater again... Uh, yeah. Good call.

At this point, I would love some insight on cutting out the rest of the old ECU plug/engine harness for reuse on my dad's Vanagon, as well as an idea of how to route the SMJ/engine plugs into the car once you're ready to reinstall.

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
you shoulda made the merge in the same shape/length of your old harness. Which is why you chop out your donor harness, lay it out, THEN snip your old shit off, so you can line'em up well.

Also, most of the pressure shit isn't required unless it's a turbo engine.

·
Registered
97 Acadia Green OBS
126 Posts
you shoulda made the merge in the same shape/length of your old harness. Which is why you chop out your donor harness, lay it out, THEN snip your old shit off, so you can line'em up well.

Also, most of the pressure shit isn't required unless it's a turbo engine.
I did lay it out, I just did all of the merging near the ECU in case I need to get back in there at a later date.:blol:

And it is a turbo engine that I'm putting in.:blol:

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
The pressure sensor stuff I dealt with was from the wrx harness, not the impreza body harness, so I just removed it. Didn't need it. Jake2.0's swap still runs sweet to this day.

The ecu/subaru uses that shit to help with emissions and mileage. as for the 'small light' yeah I didn't find that one for my H6 swap, nor jake2.0's harness.

·
Registered
97 Acadia Green OBS
126 Posts
The pressure sensor stuff I dealt with was from the wrx harness, not the impreza body harness, so I just removed it. Didn't need it. Jake2.0's swap still runs sweet to this day.

The ecu/subaru uses that shit to help with emissions and mileage. as for the 'small light' yeah I didn't find that one for my H6 swap, nor jake2.0's harness.
Good stuff. Then I'm well on my way to getting this thing running when the rest of my parts come in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey you guys, I am new to this forum and need some questions answered, I have a 2002 2.5rs and a 2007 2.5i well the 2.5rs has 170,000 miles and is running rough, what all do i need to swap the engine and tranny from the 2007 2.5i to the 2002 2.5rs. plus i was also wondering is it possible for me to change the front end of the 02 to the hawk eye that I have as well. the 07 was bought as a par6t car and i was just curious on that as well. But as the engine and tranny go should it be a straight fit, do i need a different engine harness? different motor mounts?? Both of them are automatics if that makes any difference... please help me asap! does the 07 upper subframe fit the 02 subframes as well because the 02 subframe is rusted. sorry for so many questions, just trying to get all the information that i need Thank you very much !!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey you guys, I am new to this forum and need some questions answered, I have a 2002 2.5rs and a 2007 2.5i well the 2.5rs has 170,000 miles and is running rough, what all do i need to swap the engine and tranny from the 2007 2.5i to the 2002 2.5rs. plus i was also wondering is it possible for me to change the front end of the 02 to the hawk eye that I have as well. the 07 was bought as a par6t car and i was just curious on that as well. But as the engine and tranny go should it be a straight fit, do i need a different engine harness? different motor mounts?? Both of them are automatics if that makes any difference... please help me asap! does the 07 upper subframe fit the 02 subframes as well because the 02 subframe is rusted. sorry for so many questions, just trying to get all the information that i need Thank you very much !!!!!

You have many options for the engine/transmission swap

1) swap the complete wiring + engine + tranny + rear diff from the 2.5i in the 2.5RS

2) swap the engine + tranny + rear diff from the 2.5i. Merge the harness like this tutorial shows you to

3) swap the engine + tranny + rear diff from the 2.5i , keep the intake/engine wiring from the 2.5RS and put it on the 2.5i (you will have to forget about AVCS)

And for the hawkeye conversion you will need to install hood+fenders+bumper+headlights+upper rad support

·
Registered
3 Posts
You have many options for the engine/transmission swap

1) swap the complete wiring + engine + tranny + rear diff from the 2.5i in the 2.5RS

2) swap the engine + tranny + rear diff from the 2.5i. Merge the harness like this tutorial shows you to

3) swap the engine + tranny + rear diff from the 2.5i , keep the intake/engine wiring from the 2.5RS and put it on the 2.5i (you will have to forget about AVCS)

And for the hawkeye conversion you will need to install hood+fenders+bumper+headlights+upper rad support
Hey Thank you very much for the help, that helped out alot!

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5RS WR Blue
1 Posts
Revive??

This is a very useful tool to help me swap my 98. But the pictures have been deleted... If theres another thread that is at the same level as this one could i get a reference cause i haven't found one this great

·
Registered
2001 RS2.5, coupe
4 Posts
I just found this thread! Its great! I am in the middle of doing a harness splice, most of its done but I ran into some issues that someone may be able to advise.

I am putting a 2002 JDM EJ207 STi engine into a 2001 2.5 RS body. I am using the JDM ECU that came with the engine together with a wiring harness. I am splicing the STi wiring harness (engine side) into the 2001 RS body harness and have most of the functions spliced in already. BUT I have some wires/ECU pins that I can't get to match up. Can anyone help with the following questions:

1. Can anyone supply the detail ECU pin functions for the JDM 2002 STi . The ECU has the following markings:
6A
22611AH581
112200-5122 12V
Denso Made in Japan"

I have gotten info from the 2002 RHD STi schematic and have an ECU pinout for a 2002 WRX but they don't exactly match up. I think I'm mostly OK with the engine connections as I can use the STi harness connections as-is for this. However splicing into the fuel control and A/C existing in the 2001 2.5 RS is more problematic…..

2. The RS 2.5 fuel control system uses relays and the STi uses a fuel control module. The RS ECU pin is A16 and I have 2 fuel pump control signals A13 or C16 pins on the STi ECU - could I use one of these for the Fuel pump relay control? Then what should I do with the other wire? Any recommendations?

3. Fuel level sensor….The ECU pin B25 is supposed to have a BrW wire, but on the STi harness, this wire is not there (open pin). On the WRX turbo this wire is present. Is there an alternate Fuel level sensor ECU pin on the 2002 STi? Any suggestions?

4. Fuel tank pressure - this exists on the 2001 2.5 RS (ECU pins C12,C16,C17) but not on STi. What does this do and what is the impact of disconnecting it on the RS? Any recommendations?

5. Drain valve- looks like this exists on the 2001 2.5 RS (ECU pin A10) but not on STi. What does this do and what is the impact of disconnecting it on the RS? Any recommendations?

6. Fuel temp sensor looks like this exists on the 2001 2.5 RS (ECU pin C26) but not on STi. What is the fuel temp needed for? and what is the impact of leaving it disconnected on the RS? Any recommendations?

7. The A/C control on 2001 RS 2.5 uses relays and has 2 ECU control pins B27 & A17 . The 2002 STi RHD schematic uses an A/C control module with 3 ECU pins A6, A9 & D27. Can I uses 2 of these pins to control the RS? which 2? What should I do with the 3rd wire? Any recommendations on connections?

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
….Dave.

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5rs.
532 Posts
Can I ask a pretty basic (I think) question. Once the wires leave the front harness and pass into the fender (two plugs, black and brown, on WRX merge) should the color of the wires change at all between the ECM and the two plugs?

141 - 160 of 295 Posts