Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

61 - 80 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
2x01 2.5RS, 97 gm4
2,208 Posts
this is the dilema. I'm not sure where two wires go to ecu because it has wires in the same location manual listed for immobilizer.

Immobilizer B136/26 - Immobilizer/Pin10 - red/yellow wire (ecu has teal green wire)
Immobilizer B136/34 - Immobilizer/Pin23 - yellow/black wire (ecu has black/green wire)

·
Premium Member
2015 WRX STI WRB
8,394 Posts
i really wish that this thread would make me excited to undergo this project.........

but in all honesty, i know nothing nothing nothing about wiring and it scares the poop outta me. from the looks of it brydon it's a painstakingly good write up. props. but holy crap it looks overwhelming.

·
Registered
00 Subaru Impreza RS
349 Posts
but in all honesty, i know nothing nothing nothing about wiring and it scares the poop outta me. from the looks of it brydon it's a painstakingly good write up. props. but holy crap it looks overwhelming.

Agreed.... I started to feel that I could do this.....for a sec. Then I kept reading and my brain a'sploded. I'm glad that someone did a write up for those who have the cojones do take on this project. Maybe if I had a another DD car, I might try. Good job.

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
i really wish that this thread would make me excited to undergo this project........
Well, to be honest this is not for everyone. A lot of people would be better off just sending it out to get it done instead of painfully taking time to do this.

And a question for everyone. I waas recently told that the early Cobb APs need another plug that they hook into. I know the DBW cars don't need this but the older ones need a jumper plug to reflash them. I wire them so the green plugs jumper the wire when they are hooked together and it works great for open source. There are tons of open source tuners around here so that is mostly what everyone does. But I was told the AP plugs into this jumper plug instead of using the OBDII plug for that wire.

Anyone have a early Cobb AP to let me know for sure. I might have to change one thing about how I rewire harnesses.

·
Registered
1998 RSTi
1,033 Posts
Well, to be honest this is not for everyone. A lot of people would be better off just sending it out to get it done instead of painfully taking time to do this.

And a question for everyone. I waas recently told that the early Cobb APs need another plug that they hook into. I know the DBW cars don't need this but the older ones need a jumper plug to reflash them. I wire them so the green plugs jumper the wire when they are hooked together and it works great for open source. There are tons of open source tuners around here so that is mostly what everyone does. But I was told the AP plugs into this jumper plug instead of using the OBDII plug for that wire.

Anyone have a early Cobb AP to let me know for sure. I might have to change one thing about how I rewire harnesses.
You are doing it correct. The 02-03s have a different connector than the 04-05s, but they do the exact same thing. You just run the 2 wires direct to the OBD2 so that only the green connectors need to be plugged in to flash.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
You are doing it correct. The 02-03s have a different connector than the 04-05s, but they do the exact same thing. You just run the 2 wires direct to the OBD2 so that only the green connectors need to be plugged in to flash.
Perfect thanks. I've reflashed both my cars many times with no issues but I only use open source. I've personally never used the Access Port on anything.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Im to the point where everything is labeled and ready for merging. Can anyone give me some detail as to how the wiring is done for keeping the WRX transmission? It says to merge the wire for the nutral switch (that wire goes to a plug on the wrx trans for the nss). Do you still merge that and change a plug orrr... Kinda lost.

·
aka RFoy2.5RS-T
98 RS
1,707 Posts
Im to the point where everything is labeled and ready for merging. Can anyone give me some detail as to how the wiring is done for keeping the WRX transmission? It says to merge the wire for the nutral switch (that wire goes to a plug on the wrx trans for the nss). Do you still merge that and change a plug orrr... Kinda lost.
Take the same approach this guide took for the engine and it should net you the same result. Trace the WRX trans plugs into the wrx harness do the same with the rs trans plugs in the rs harness cut and splice the wrx trans wires to the rs harness. Just make sure you pick a spot that's A) a straight run of the harness that doesn't get bunt too much. and B) you will be able to get to in 5 years without taking the much of the car apart just in case issues do come up. How ever if you do a nice job and do it correctly like he shows you will have no issues. My car was wired with this type of mentality and I've had no issues for 6 years.

That being said I just took the time and looked this guide over. I have to say it's the best way to approach the merg and the best guide I've ever seen. Great Job!

·
Registered
1998 WRX STI TYPE R
50 Posts
wow thanks for this, i only wish i read this thread 2 months ago when i started it on my car... its still not going and i totally stripped the whole loom out and replaced it with a full ver8 sti loom, and doing the the whole GDB interior mod at the same time...
here are some pics i hope im not hijacking you thread...

this is what it used to look like:

in between... looks like rat nest...

yesterday:

·
Registered
94&93 vr4, 94 rx7, 98 2.5rs, 95 Supra TT
360 Posts
Does anyone here know how the fuel level sensor works? I swapped an 06 engine into my 98. I wired the fuel level wire (brown with white stripe) correctly. My fuel gauge doesn't work. The needle doesn't budge, it's about 1/8" below the empty line. B135 pin 10 on the 06 wrx ecu. I just checked continuity from the ecu plug to the back of the cluster. I also checked continuity to a plug underneath the rear seat. Then it feeds under the car and runs up to where the fuel pump 6 pin plug is, however it doesn't appear to go to this connector. It runs over to towards the driver's side of the car. I poked the wire here and tested continuity to the plug under the seat.

The only strange thing I did, was I used the 06 wrx fuel pump assembly. I had to take the little plastic box off the bottom of it, but the rest dropped right in. It has the metal wire arm with blackbox. I always thought this was the sensor... But if the brown/white wire doesn't connect to one of the 6 pins going into the fuel pump, I don't see how it works. I've yet to jack my car up and follow the wire...

·
Registered
94L
2,782 Posts
Brydon, I hope someday Ill meet you in person and shake your hand!

Wanna do some EG33 - L merge? :)

JK ;)

Ill do it myself and try to record most.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Brydon, I hope someday Ill meet you in person and shake your hand!

Wanna do some EG33 - L merge? :)

JK ;)

Ill do it myself and try to record most.
Drive to WCSS (West Coast Subaru Show) this year and we can have a drink and you can drive the L.

·
Wiring Guru
01 RS, 97 Ducati
356 Posts
Does anyone here know how the fuel level sensor works? I swapped an 06 engine into my 98. I wired the fuel level wire (brown with white stripe) correctly. My fuel gauge doesn't work. The needle doesn't budge, it's about 1/8" below the empty line. B135 pin 10 on the 06 wrx ecu. I just checked continuity from the ecu plug to the back of the cluster. I also checked continuity to a plug underneath the rear seat. Then it feeds under the car and runs up to where the fuel pump 6 pin plug is, however it doesn't appear to go to this connector. It runs over to towards the driver's side of the car. I poked the wire here and tested continuity to the plug under the seat.

The only strange thing I did, was I used the 06 wrx fuel pump assembly. I had to take the little plastic box off the bottom of it, but the rest dropped right in. It has the metal wire arm with blackbox. I always thought this was the sensor... But if the brown/white wire doesn't connect to one of the 6 pins going into the fuel pump, I don't see how it works. I've yet to jack my car up and follow the wire...
The fuel pump assembly is different between the GC and the GD. The fuel level and temp sensors on the GC share the same pin for their ground. On the GD they are two individual circuits.

Z

·
Registered
04 Impereza RS PSM
312 Posts
has anyone done this with out pulling the RS hanress from the car??? i was thinking of just pullin the seat out plopin on the floor and goin to work with out pullin the dash and whole harness out...how much more of a pita will it be doin it like that???

61 - 80 of 295 Posts