Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
RIP: MY00 BRP 2.5RS Sedan 4EAT
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago my sunroof started getting "stuck" meaning it would only work intermittently when I first start my car. Only after a couple minutes of driving, I can push the buttons to open/close the sunroof and it will work fine for the rest of the day. Starting last week, my sunroof called it quits completely. Pushing the open/close buttons won't do anything, but you can hear a faint click in the motor. I can still open and close the sunroof using the allen wrench, but I'd like to use the sunroof normally with the buttons again. Anyone had this problem yet and possibly got it fixed? I assume you would have to take apart the headliner to get to the sunroof motor.

· Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What did you use to lube it up? My problem seems more electrical though since it opens and closes fine with the allen wrench

· Registered
GM6
169 Posts
I'm not sure what it was. I drove my friend to this guy's house to buy his brother's car, and while they were doing the deal we were talking about my car, and he handed me this can of stuff he said would help. I sprayed it in and it indeed helped. It was a clear liquid out of a rattle can. I can't remember what it was called ><

A quick Google search shows that white lithium grease is popular.

I wiped mine down pretty well before lubed it. I think most of the problem was the grit in the track. WD-40 or another degreaser would probably clean it up easily. Just be sure to get it lubed again when you're done.

Cleaning and lubing should take a lot of stress off the motor, which will be paticularly effective if it's on its way out.

· Registered
247 Posts
i ran into the same problem...

sunroof seizes/jams/sticks
motor can be heard when semi-open
click can be heard when closed or fully open and button is pressed (Dash light dims when car is not running but ignition is set to "ON")

Materials Required:
Allan Key
Lithium Grease spray
Paper towel

Use the Allan key to close in emergency. Allan key should be supplied in the toolkit, otherwise the IKEA sized Allan key works.
Allan key socket located behind dome light behind a plastic circular plug

Fully open/close with Allan key (clockwise = close, counter clockwise = open)
Open partially until sunroof tracks can be seen
Use an old toothbrush to clean off any debris (in my case it was dried, dirty lubrication that clumped together)
Place a paper towel where the inner roof lining meets the inner sunroof panel (to avoid stains during spray)
Spray the sunroof tracks and springs that are accessible
Open the sunroof completely
Spray the sunroof tracks that are accessible

Let the grease creep a bit, or park on an incline or go for a quick drive (so the grease rolls back into the sunroof rail that is not accessible

Tap the close button and cross your fingers.

So far its working great. sunroof motor doesn't squeal like its trying to move an elephant

DONT use WD-40 by the way (just for cleaning as previously mentioned. not as a replacement to the grease)

· Registered
247 Posts
hmm still doesn't work. I've tried putting some lithium grease with no luck :(
aw that sucks dude. fubar ftl! :(

did you double check whether anything was jammed in the tracks? i had alot of those uh...dandylion seeds all stuck together with the old grease in the tracks.

I also noticed that the sunroof would still initially jam when trying to open, but i figured out i put too much grease around the sunroof uh...inner lip i guess you could say. the part that typically rusts. I did this as a preventative measure, but it created almost a suction/seal which the motor had to fight against when opening.

· Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm hoping its not the motor being shot which might be. it sometimes works now when it is really hot out and the car is been baking, but stops working again once it gets cold

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.