Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
EEEEP!!!!
Something Slow
2,000 Posts

Item 19 in the diagram. It is supposed to be taper side up. Basically it is the contact point of the upper spring seat to the tophat. The springs support the weight of the vehicle through the perch, through the washer, and onto a bearing in the tophat. The bearing is what allows the struts to rotate when you steer. Without the conical washer the upper spring seat rubs the rubber portion of the tophat until it tears.

·
EEEEP!!!!
Something Slow
2,000 Posts
Hmm... I was looking in the prodrive wr thead - did you use the stock washers or did you use the flat ones? The flat ones don't look like they'd do the job, but I can't tell without getting a better look at them. But the strut top failure you got happens quite often when the washer is installed incorrectly or just not installed at all.

·
Registered
A3tdi>LGT>RS>L
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bondo said:
useless post
Thanks guy
DumbUglyDragon said:
Hmm... I was looking in the prodrive wr thead - did you use the stock washers or did you use the flat ones? The flat ones don't look like they'd do the job, but I can't tell without getting a better look at them. But the strut top failure you got happens quite often when the washer is installed incorrectly or just not installed at all.
I used the washers provided by Garage Tuning when i purchased the set. As far as the drawing goes i installed like that. I am going to take everything down this weekend when i get a chance.

·
Registered
'99 2.5 RS Rally Blue Pearl
937 Posts
Subaruski420 said:
Thanks guy
ohh, sorry, i wasn't referring to you. i posted asking the question that you had just answered right above me, so i editted it, meaning my post was useless. sorry for the confusion, i'll edit it

·
Registered
A3tdi>LGT>RS>L
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DumbUglyDragon said:
Not between the spring perch and the strut top - it doesn't need to rotate(no steering in the rear.
I was provided with 4 washers from garage tuning. So when you say not between the spring perch and strut you mean no washer is necassary at all, correct?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts