Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5RS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue that I can't seem to find any consistency on. I've done a bit of searching and asking around still no luck. My car is a '98 2.5RS with a 5-speed manual, 4.11FD.

Recently I noticed that when I cut the wheel or get close to it in my car, it feels like the tires are skipping across the pavement. However, the slower the car goes the worse it gets. It goes from a simple hydroplaning feeling to a full fledged pop I can feel from the car. When I put the car in reverse and have the wheel cut and even as soon as I barely move, you can feel the pop matching the speed of the tires. It doesn't matter which direction the wheel is turned. My gut is telling me its my LSD locking, just by the way the car feels. But I don't know if its the center diff (meaning inside the transmission right?) or rear. I've been told it could possibly be the steering rack mounts, control arm bushings or sway bar links. I was hoping you guys could feed me some input on where you would start to check and how to go about doing it.

Before all this happened I filled up the tranny with fluid, changed rear diff fluid and changed oil in the car. I have access to a jack & basic tools. I've never done any type of work with this type of thing or any of the other possibilities I mentioned so any help on that would be great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Sounds like a bad center differential. The skipping, popping, jerking, etc is a classic sign when at full lock.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts