Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
98 Wagon L
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see an 05 rs for sale in my area that has a broken crank (or so he says). Its possibly too good of a deal to pass up. So I'll most likely part it out or something. However I'm interested if it might not be too bad to fix it. I had a gc8 for a few years and an 06 legacy and I've done quite a bit of work on these cars over the years. I'm trying to figure out if I can swap in a new short block or if the crank breaks does it smash the pretty valves into oblivion. What's the going rate for an ej253 short and long block now a days? Or is there a more economical option?

Thanks for the help guys.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Brighton
491 Posts
I wonder what he means by "broken" crank. Connecting rods and pistons should fail way before the crank does.

It's possible that someone stripped the threads for the bolt which holds the pulley on (I had a shop do this to my original 1.8L). If that's the case, you may be able to Heli-Coil it.

Complete EJ253/251s can usually be found for less than a grand (either can work with a few parts from the original motor). The I've seen them go for $500+shipping online, but I've seen them sell locally for half a 30-pack. If you're willing to use one from a junkyard, you can probably get the motor for a couple hundred bucks (just make sure it's from a crashed car, not an abused one).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts