Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

which one would be the better option for me right now?

• go catless

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • get the new cats

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, so I have ran into the issue a lot of us 20+ year old subaru owners have to deal with which is Rust! I was trying to keep my car garaged to avoid the salted roads and whatnot but as soon as I took my baby out for a drive my Catalytic converter snapped!
i’m in a bit of a financial bind right now due to the Pandemic so my question is, would it be cheaper to go cat less and just get a down pipe? or should I just get the replacement cats? keep in mind, i’m running temp tags until march because getting an appointment to register the car through the dmv is almost impossible right now and by march I’d have to get the catalytic converters to pass emissions anyway, but by then I’d also be able to dish out more money to get the proper plumbing. I just want to know which option would be the cheapest currently cause I do intend to daily my GC for work

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
835 Posts
Do you know anyone that can weld? I'm not a welder (I can weld good enough to fix exhausts) but if it was mine and I didn't have any money, I'd chop off the flange on the midpipe and buy a section of exhaust tubing from autozone and weld it up. It wouldn't be pretty and it wouldn't last forever, but it would get you by for a while.

·
Registered
00 RS cpe, 01 RS cpe, 05 3.0 R
136 Posts
Do you know anyone that can weld? I'm not a welder (I can weld good enough to fix exhausts) but if it was mine and I didn't have any money, I'd chop off the flange on the midpipe and buy a section of exhaust tubing from autozone and weld it up. It wouldn't be pretty and it wouldn't last forever, but it would get you by for a while.
Agree- looking at the photo, looks like enough pipe left on the end of the cat. to fit a sleeve over, cut the pipe behind the flange. Measure the outside diameter of your exhaust, the sleeves are usually listed by their inside diameter . Being in western NY , we sell many of these, so at least in this area, many shops equipped to do this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts