Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sp
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought some poly bushings on ebay. Had a free Sunday afternoon. Disaster resulted.

I started with the passenger side bushing, started backing out one bolt. It was in tight, so I re-purposed a PVC pipe as a breaker bar and managed to get it moving. It was about 60% of the way out (I guess?) before I heard the worst noise one can hear when backing out a bolt. The welded nut on the inside of the bracket mounting had broken free.

Now I have a free bolt and an attached nut that can't be tightened or removed. The nut is contained in a small sheet metal "box" that is welded to the front crossmember (anyone who has switched out the steering bushing should be familiar). The box does have two small V shaped openings on two lateral sides, large enough to insert or remove a nut, but not enough to do anything much useful I would think.

I've done a few searches about this problem and haven't gotten much, but I've gathered that i'll need to remove the existing bolt (probably by destroying it) and then refastening the nut through some double-jointed welding or through JB weld.

Thoughts and perhaps a good tutorial would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
you need to actually weld the nut back in place. chances are your going to have to cut out the portion where the nut is, weld it on and weld the piece back in.

unfortunately this is a **** situation and theres no good way to handle it. jb weld will never last unfortunately.

·
Registered
'97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sp
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixed it.

Dremeled off the bolt head. Pushed away the "remains" of broken weld nut and bolt remainder. Dropped in an M8 bolt w/ lock washer through the "V" opening above where the weld nut is. Negotiated this bolt into the bolt hole. Tightened it up with nut on lower side.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts