Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, finally figured this damn thing out and for those of you who've wondered... the E-Manage is a great alternative to a full stand-alone. Once I sifted through the BS thats out there on this thing and compared what info I had on it I realized that some of the settings were wrong (duh, thanks for all the help GReddy) but once up and running... WOW!! I'll be posting more info/documentation on it as I can so you all won't need to go through the crap I did. Stay tuned (hehehe pun intended).

·
Registered
1999/2017 RSTI
225 Posts
Props to BOY... really nice documenting the install... I just want some tuning now... hehehe... any comments on what you have planned for this?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I know tuners in Japan had mentioned they were working with E-Manage and no MAF, the question is have they documented it yet and does it actually work? I'm still not going to trust E-Manage after my friends run luck with one on his GTI-R. At least they got the softare variations figured out now.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys, thanks for the encouragement. First off the E-Manage is not a Link or TEC replacement. If you can afford full stand alone, GET IT. That being said, there is currently nothing on the market in this price range that gives you the same bang for buck. Even if you price an S-AFC and ITC (used of course) you'll be spending more money and not have anywhere near the same functionality. On to tuning... I've messed around a bit in anticipation for the turbo install (only about 2 weeks away now) and my advice is the best tuning will be done on a dyno. I highly recommend having an OBD-II scanner of software to check knock correction and A/F ratios (and an A/F and EGT gauges too). I've enriched the mixture, added and pulled timing, etc just to see how well the E-Manage worked and let me tell you WOW. At 4% enrichment from 2000-3000 the part throttle response was V-8 like, full throttle bogged, but hey... I'm experimenting right? Still being N/A the timing adjustments I made were quite dramatic even at 2 deg of retard the car seemed to almost die, yup it works. My tuning strategy post-turbo will be this (which I think is a common strategy with the stand-alone guys too):

dial in baseline retard of 2 degrees across the board, check knock correction, A/F mix, and EGTs

if knock correction is occuring add 5% in the target area (using the map trace function on the emanage), review knock correction, A/F, EGTs

if still knocking add 5% fuel again, review

if STILL knocking, take out 10% fuel (that you just added) and remove 1 degree of timing, review

repeat process until a nice smooth map (det free, of course). I am currently working with the guys on the E-Manage board to study the possiblity of using the GReddy pressure sensor (or other unused input) to monitor A/F and/or Knock. If we can figure something out it should be possible to base your timing correction map on the knock sensor voltage -vs- the MAF/MAP voltage. Pretty trick.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Boy, I've got a quick question. I know the E-Manage allows for like 8 injectors or so but can you specify in the software what cc injectors your running and the fuel pressure? Also does the E-Manage detect and correct for knock?

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The E-Manage will allow for 2 sub-injectors, regardless of # of cylinders. Since the injectors fire in sequence you cannot run a double rail setup. As for size, I'm still stock and am at stock fuel pressure since I'm still N/A however, I'll be using a Vortech FMU initially when the turbo goes in (I love saying that). The E-Manage will allow virtually any size injector upgrade BUT GReddy recommends only 150% increase over stock to maintain resolution and idle. Upgrading injectors in the software is easy, you type in the original injector size then the new injector size and all your fuel maps are corrected the that ratio. Theoretically you could use a larger "stock" injector size and go up 150% from that but your idle would be terrible. As for knock, nope no knock detection/correction built in. I am researching using some of the additional (unused) input signals (particularly the GReddy pressure sensor harness) as a knock monitor/safegaurd. Since the E-Manage is basically universal it only cares about voltages. The timing correction map is based on "Air Flow Meter input", as the injector control map. The software should allow you to select a different input source for the two maps and a knock sensor is just another voltage source... set the timing baseline timing for each RPM below the idle knock sensor value and then build a scale for "acceptable" voltages and retard timing based on each knock event that trips the selected voltage. I have no idea if this will work but I accidentally hooked my TPS input wire to my rear O2 sensor and got a nice datalog of it so concievably it will work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts