Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

161 - 180 of 296 Posts

·
Registered
92 SVX, 97 GC
33 Posts
Just read through this thread, Love the progress! Im doing the same swap soon, did you have any specific problems/fitment issues? How hard was modding the wiring harness?

·
Registered
97 Impreza WRX Green
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #164 (Edited)
The engine, turbo, trans, rear diff, and suspension was all pretty easy just took time. Heater core, gas pedal, other small stuff was hard for me. Wiring harness would have been easy if I didn't want to strip all the extra wire out of it.

Im also still trying to get the brake bias right, just ordered a jdm wrx disc brake non abs proportioning valve, hope it works.

·
Registered
97 Impreza WRX Green
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Finally had the car tuned by Tim Bailey at Cobb Tunning Surgeline. Let me start by saying I am extremely satisfied with the tune and overall service of their shop. They helped me get the car set up before the tune for the best results. The changes were cobb intake, accessport, upgraded boost control lines, and mbc (wiring to the 3port bcs was not working). And for the numbers, at wastegate boost it pulled 325hp and 300tq, no dyno graph for this.

·
Registered
97 Impreza WRX Green
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #168 (Edited)
Here is a link to the dyno database its pretty cool.
Dyno Database Online

The car is unbelievable powerful now I have no way to describe it, I am going to try wastegate boost for autocross next weekend (non points event) and build up boost from there.

·
Registered
97 Impreza WRX Green
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Yeah the door windows were a little tricky, but they bolt in and out in a couple of min now and should keep the water out during rainy autocross days. They only weigh a few pounds for the pair. I built a little frame on the front and back of the window running up and down than riveted the lexan to that.

·
Registered
1993 Impreza L Greyish
1,694 Posts
What makes it a FP car versus a XP car?

Was under the opinion that swap with WRX cross members was a ticket to XP?

·
Registered
97 Impreza WRX Green
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
^Not much, they have a little different min weight and down force rules. XP you can run a engine from a different manufacture than the car. Rule book would be the best place to get the differences. I am a little under weight for FP and way over weight for XP so I just plan on running a full tank of gas for this year.

(If I am wrong please let me know I always try to fallow the rules)

·
Registered
1993 Impreza L Greyish
1,694 Posts
^Not much, they have a little different min weight and down force rules. XP you can run a engine from a different manufacture than the car. Rule book would be the best place to get the differences. I am a little under weight for FP and way over weight for XP so I just plan on running a full tank of gas for this year.

(If I am wrong please let me know I always try to fallow the rules)
Not trying to nitpick - just curious as my car is way over weight for XP too so any more competitive class that's legal intrigues me...

I don't see where in the F Prepared rules it says you can do an engine swap period. Impreza and WRX are classified as different cars so you don't update/backdate to that engine.

XP is the "swap" class I think all the other Prepared classes are restricted to the stock engine. So you could run a gutted/lexan WRX in FP but not a swapped Impreza.

See Storm talking about it here:
NASIOC - View Single Post - FP/XP - Anorexic Body Building

So I dunno if they changed it or what...

-Tim

·
Registered
97 Impreza WRX Green
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
^Im looking into that now if I need to switch to XP thats okay with me, here are the subarus allowed to run FP

Subaru
Impreza (AWD)
SVX (1992-97)
WRX (all) (2002-2010)[/LEFT]
Sedans & coupes NOC (Turbo)

·
Registered
1993 Impreza L Greyish
1,694 Posts
^Im looking into that now if I need to switch to XP thats okay with me, here are the subarus allowed to run FP

Subaru
Impreza (AWD)
SVX (1992-97)
WRX (all) (2002-2010)[/LEFT]
Sedans & coupes NOC (Turbo)
Yeah the wording is weird I was just going off what I've heard other people say in the past - curious to get a straight forward answer on it from someone.

Can you cut out that rear shelf (I dunno wagon doesn't have that peice)? I thought you couldn't cut up the unibody unless it's to facilitate some other allowed modification...

I need to actually show up to a autox so I can check out your car, not many Prepared Subarus around mostly SM.

-Tim

·
Registered
97 Impreza WRX Green
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Yeah autox this sunday you should come Tim, I am not sure on the rear shelf... I cut it out when I pinned the trunk. Pending class change to XP, are subaru swaps legal in FP?

·
Registered
1993 Impreza L Greyish
1,694 Posts
I'll try to drop by and say hi. Not going to run the wagon and the H6 XP coupe isn't close to being ready either.

-Tim

·
Registered
97 Impreza WRX Green
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #179 (Edited)
XP it is for this year

Corbeau fx1 pro installed with buddy club rails, about 25lb with all hard wear.

Seat is fantastic fits me perfectly. Rails have lots of adjustment from stock height to very low. Passenger seat soon to follow.

161 - 180 of 296 Posts