Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 296 Posts

·
Registered
2x01 2.5RS, 97 gm4
2,208 Posts
you will need to drill holes in your firewall for heater core. dash beam will need modification as well, its not a bolt on app. i had the same cam gear broken and just did a comp test and its fine. one of the reasons i did a test is that my belt was still in perfect shape, if the gear snapped and it kept rotating it would have ripped the belt. also there isn't really a market on the avcs cam gears. you might find a few after market for a high $

·
Registered
2x01 2.5RS, 97 gm4
2,208 Posts
Sounds like getting the engine built back to oem specs is the way to go then, I was very happy with its performance before the wreck 330hp and 360tq. I would like a little more out of the brighton though, front mount and e85 should help.
it will feel faster because of the weight diff.

·
Registered
05 Forester
55 Posts
Don't know if you've got it yet, but looking at the first pics you're harnesses are mounted low in the rear. You need a harness bar, or to mount them above the level of your shoulders.
Otherwise this is a SWEET project. I'd love to do something like this as a project!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 97L and am doing a swap as well, will be interested in what you do with the fuel pump controller and tranny cord as those are problems i have ran into with the wiring.

Also did you have any trouble mounting the front 02 WRX seats, i only got two of the tabs of the driver side to actually line up with the mounting points on the chassis (front and rear right tabs) and haven't tried to mount the passenger side yet.

·
Registered
97 Impreza WRX Green
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
yeah harnesses are DOT approved the way they are installed now, but I will be getting a roll bar (that has harness mounts) soon. Autopower looks like they have a nice one that is scca approved, any opinions?

·
Registered
97 Impreza WRX Green
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The 06 wrx seats bolted in using all the same hardware, I will be using the wrx wiring harness so all the plugs will match.

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L
68 Posts
WOW someone from Eugene! This is a sweet project... Im no mechanic but if you needed help with anything Id be more than happy too..

·
Registered
97 Impreza WRX Green
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Installed wheels and tires today, looks kind of silly with the factory ride height. Does anyone know what kind of ride height RCE yellows, d-specs, and 90 legacy turbo rear top hats would give a gc8? Anyways sprained ankle is delaying progress.

·
Registered
99' Impreza wagon-red
658 Posts
Sweet project. Good descision on keeping the sti so you can swap everything into the brighton. Good luck with everything!

·
Registered
97 Impreza WRX Green
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Rear subframes dropped on both cars, waiting for some new parts to put on then the wrx subframe. Next week the rear end should be finished.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Broken leg slowing progress, but I got the car registered and license plate put on.

DUDE!
Ankle immobilizer boot!!! I've got one too. And am building an Arcadia Green Brighton from my "stock" Arcadia Green RS.

heh. Sucks about the leg. Mine is *just* the ankle. :-/

·
Registered
97 Impreza WRX Green
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Yeah the boot really gets in the way of car projects. Whiteline lateral links arrived to replace the bent wrx lateral links. I don't think anything else is bent in the rear end. Does anyone know the final drive of a 97 brighton?

·
Registered
97 Impreza WRX Green
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I have a for sale thread but I just thought I would let people know here also, the complete engine, transmission, wiring harness, rear diff, driveshaft, axles, suspension is all for sale for cheap, pick up only.

·
Registered
97 Impreza WRX Green
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Broken leg healed and moved to a new house with a much better garage for projects. Here is where the car is at now.

Rear end mostly put together

Recruiting friends to help tear down the wrx.

·
Registered
97 Impreza WRX Green
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Still need a shop to check out the wrx motor, any suggestions?

Any reason to swap the wrx gas tank? I think ill just save it in case I need to swap it later.

21 - 40 of 296 Posts