Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 296 Posts

·
Registered
97 Impreza WRX Green
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My name is Ryan and Im starting this members journal to document my Brighton swap. So let start at the beginning. In 06 I bought my first new car a wrx.

I immediately started modifying the car to my liking.

Table of contents:

Page 1- WRX accident and bought brighton
Page 2- Little stuff
Page 3- New wheels
Page 4- Roll and pull fenders, rear end swap
Page 5- Stripping down the two cars
Page 6- Sound deadening out, trans in, coilovers built, paint and roll bar in
Page 7- Not much cool pic of the car
Page 8- Engine and front mount intercooler in
Page 9- Working on wiring
Page10- Swapped finished sorta
Page11- Car weigh in and street vs race wheels/tires
Page12- Pics and some talk
Page13- First autox run
Page14- Suspension thoughts and autox pics
Page15- Bye bye glass and doors get lightened
Page16- Lexan and new hood
Page17- New rain tires, side windows and DYNO!

·
Registered
97 Impreza WRX Green
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then one day out of no where a median jumped out into the middle of the road and hit me :_sure:

Pointing to the damage in case you couldn't see it.

No one got hurt but the car.

·
Registered
97 Impreza WRX Green
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Front end of wrx gets taken off

Timing belt cover is cracked!!! Looks like the engine will need to be checked out.

·
Registered
97 Impreza WRX Green
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Couple of questions

After I put a roll bar in, would it be safe to take out the floor bar that runs under the back seat?

Anyone have a recommendation for a shop to check out my engine in either eugene or portland areas?

·
Registered
97 Impreza WRX Green
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im going to need to have more patience with the wrx dash, I ended up breaking lots of tabs.

Guages and wrx steering wheel on.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Looks like a great starting point for a swap.

I'd have loved to find another arcadia green 2door for my swap. ;) Do us proud!

The engine will have valve damage, just a matter of how many of them are toast. :( (I've dealt with cars with timing cover damage. 8 intake valves needed to be replaced.)

·
Registered
97 Impreza WRX Green
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mad Ra88it do you have a guess on how much its going to be to fix the engine, any upgrades I should consider while its apart?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Mad Ra88it do you have a guess on how much its going to be to fix the engine, any upgrades I should consider while its apart?

Pull the heads off, DO NOT TRY TO CRANK THIS OVER. Normal case is that the machine shop has to put new valves in the heads. (In my area) They will pressure test and check the heads for ~100-150$. When you pull the heads you will be able to see the valves that are (good chance) bent. plan on buying those valves and give them to the machine shop with the heads you'll be taking in.

I spent ~250 to have the heads checked, including buying the valves off of NASIOC.
Upgrades... hmmm. What budget do you have? Dual Valve springs/different valves/3angle valve job (only because if you ask any of these people that spew 5angle to draw it....they can't, and the hp gains....aren't proven.). Use stock cam gears, new larger cams if you want and assemble it. Install it and have some crazy fun with a 2.5L :D

·
Registered
97 Impreza WRX Green
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cam gear was broken, and timing belt was ripped. Im planning on using the wrx dash beam and heater core hopefully it mostly bolts up with out too much custom work.

·
Registered
97 Impreza WRX Green
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like getting the engine built back to oem specs is the way to go then, I was very happy with its performance before the wreck 330hp and 360tq. I would like a little more out of the brighton though, front mount and e85 should help.

1 - 20 of 296 Posts