Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 RS
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swaping a 96L. It did not have abs. The master has 4 lines coming out of it. The sti master has only two. Does anyone know how to plumb the brakes??
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5 Rs
3,712 Posts
all you should have to do is take the lines from the master that originally went ot the front right brake for instance, and jsut put the brembo there. Like if there are four lines from the master, find out which ones go where.? does that make sense?

like for instance, on the sti master there is two. the front one goes to the front left and rear right. so (even though this wouldnt work) if i were not putting abs in, thats the brakes i would run that line to (provided a splitter and proper rear proportioning valve etc.)

·
Registered
1995 L
1,541 Posts
Leave the stock master cylinder in, replace the brake lines in the wheel wells and the calipers and you should be fine. :) You don't need abs, Unless your going to wire in dccd IIRC. Car will stop good without abs, and you may prefer the pedal feel.

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts
ttimpreza said:
Is abs a must with dccd? I was shopping for a 6 speed with dccd to install at a later date.
No there are aftermarket controllers that don't need ABS. DCCD is overrated if you ask me but to each there own.

Also you should upgrade to the STI master cylinder or you you will have some pedal squish. Just T the lines at the master cylinder and you are done.

·
Registered
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5 Rs
3,712 Posts
yes there are after market controlers taht do not run through abs. but if you use the oem controller, it will be looking for input through OEM abs sensors. id have to read a little bit mroe into it, but there is a chance that only the "Auto" mode would malfunction, as it might not look for speed signals for any of the manual lock up rates. dont know for sure.

and i agree with brydon in that you sould use the proper size MC to get the most out of it. but i disagree that DCCD is overrated. it really depends on what you use the car for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts