Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this awesome STi BREMBO brakes all around with hubs/knuckles; complete JDM STi Driveline from flywheel to the brakes.

Those of you who have this brake setup. Is it biased with more braking on the front driverside? Mine seems to BITE MORE on the driver front than the pass. It'll lock up the driver front before any other wheel.

Makes me think is it because of the shorter hose that goes to that corner?
I wanna know for those of you who have the STi brembo brakes on yoru non-ABS Imprezas if it is biased to this particuler corner?

I'm going to have to figure something out if it still is biased to this corner if new rotors and pads doesn't change anything next spring.

Thanks!
Fuji

· AYVI Motorsports
White 98 Impreza/06WRX
448 Posts
length of lines shouldn't matter, but if you have some air in them it would.. Try doing a good brake bleeding.

I don't have brembos, but usually one side of the front locks up before the other. I am 90% sure it only because of varying road conditions. I had drums in the rear but now I have vented disks I would think that this would give me more rear bias but it seems to do the opposite? wierd huh.

· Registered
99 WRB GC V9 Spec C RA recce
1,057 Posts
wheels locking up one after another means the weight distribution is off, this is why they make corner weight balance on race cars

what proportioning valve you run w/brembos and no abs?
I am using STI one and I still can't figure how balanced the system is

· Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wheels locking up one after another means the weight distribution is off, this is why they make corner weight balance on race cars

what proportioning valve you run w/brembos and no abs?
I am using STI one and I still can't figure how balanced the system is
OKIES!!

I have replaced my master cylinder with a non-abs SVX master cylinder. Brake pedal is better, and also it is A LOT more consistant. HOWEVER I am still experiancing the driver front LOCKING.

This side of the brake DID lock up before the corner balancing. This happened during a High Speed Driving event here at Brainerd International Raceway, MN. I have noticed that there is most brake dust on the driver front compared to any other corner.

Brake setup:
'99 Impreza L non-ABS
2.5RS pedal box
SVX Master cylinder non-ABS
factory Impreza L non-ABS porportioning valve
Goodridge SS brake lines
'04 JDM STi Brembos
Endless pads of some sort
Super Blue brake fluid

Now what I'm looking at next is replacing my pads with new pads because they are wearing down from track use and also BRAKE BOOSTING. I may even replace the rotors as well IF NOT have them resurfaced a little. If this doesn't solve it then I may look at the CALIPER. OR I may just look at the CALIPER first before going with new pads and such.

BUT

What I am thinking is that it's because the DRIVER FRONT has the SHORTEST line from the MS to the caliper. I've BLED the calipers and the driver front moves just fine, nothing seized.

· Registered
1,057 Posts
what about pad wear?

I can share another story of my own, when I had the GrN brakes (winter setup)
I mixed up the calipers from the rally car when I was putting them on my street car and one side ended up with anti knock-back springs, which yielded in one side wearing pad MUCH faster and in uneven brake feel, it even effected my acceleration on loose surface

I'd say bubble in the line, but considering how many times you've probably bled your brakes, that's mostly unlikely

· Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know that the driver front has MORE brake dust than the rest of the corners. It's bitimg MORE, but see the car doesn't PULL to a side at all dispite this....

· Registered
1,057 Posts
stop being a lazy ass and take the fucking wheel off and measure pad wear on both sides :lol:

this will tell you both sides difference and invidudual caliper's sides difference

in my case each pad (out of 4) had different wear, but I rebuilt my 4pots and will be able to see the difference only when I switch back to winter/gravel mode and drive for a while

· Registered
2000 RS coupe
308 Posts
@fujik. Bringing back the thread from the dead. I also have a 99 L factory non ABS. I have done drum to disc conversion in the rear. Running full 03 WRX brakes for now. I have the wrx booster and SVX non ABS MC. My question comes in regards to the proportioning valve. I was curious if this had anything to do with your issue here...
Should I stick with the stock 99 prop valve?
Swap to the wrx valve?
Find another option...etc?
Hanks!

· Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
3,297 Posts
Swap valves, drum breaks maintain a small amount of pressure which will cause brake drag on the rear.

· Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
29,203 Posts
i have a 98L non abs that originally came with drum rears. when i bought the car i drove it for maybe a month before i swapped out to RS disk rears. this was 12 years ago so, i have no idea what the drums felt like or even what the car felt like during braking with the drums.

with that said, i never changed the prop valve. people will tell you you need to blah blah blah. i LOVE how my car brakes. with it being a little more rear biased than a setup that came with 4 wheel disks, it stops flat. there is very little, if any, nose dive. i hate cars with a super excessive amount of nose dove to shift all the weight. seems like a waste of rear brakes to me. why even have them if youre just going to throw ALL the weight forward and unload the rear end.

as far as pad wear, i've gone to change them twice and both times i ended up lubing some slide pins/hardware and putting it all back together. they are wearing at the same rate as the fronts, which, i like. i hate having to try to remember whether something has been done or not and doing them all at the same time is just plain easier. and, the last time i changed my brakes was over 4 years ago, and i still have 75% pads all the way around.

my setup:
03 wrx fronts.
98RS rears.
stoptech SS lines.
OE master.
centric rotors.
AZ gold pads. (whatever..it's a barely driven street car)
lachute MC brace.

the best part, it out stops my wife's '15 rogue. with all the bells and whistles of safety and braking items.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.