Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that during break in you aren't supposed to go past 4K and what not. My car now has 170 miles on it and I have already popped it off the rev limited once on accident, and I have also put it past 5K a couple of times. I am going to do my best and take it easy, but what do you all suggest?

-Jeremy-

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
take it easy to maybe over 1,000 miles and try not to keep a constant rpm.

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
Also, avoid constant RPM's i.e. cruise control at a constand speed for long periods for the first few thousand miles.

Other than that, change your oil very frequently for the first few thousand miles. I went overkill, but I changed my oil every 500 miles for the first 3,000 then every 1000 miles until it was at 6,000. Now I do it every 3,000 miles. If you are going to run synthetic oil, don't use it till you have a few thousand miles, and if you DO use it then, use it forever. Don't go back to organic.

My $.02 :)

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
ampsarus said:
Other than that, change your oil very frequently for the first few thousand miles.
ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY DO NOT change your oil that frequently during the break in period!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Without getting too technical, the whole point of a "break-in" period is to allow things like the valves to seat, and the rings to wear to match the engine surfaces. This REQUIRES wear in the engine, hence, oil that is not 100% brand new. If you change your oil that often, you are PREVENTING wear which means your engine is NOT broken in. Then, when you finally go drive it normally, you will cause damage to valve seats, rings, piston and crank bearings, and a whole host of other internal parts, which will drastically reduce the life and reliability of your engine.

Your car (assuming it is new) had (1) a sticker telling you about the break-in process and (2) an owners manual which should also tell you about it. If you have neither, contact your service department and ask them specifically what needs to be done.

Also, do NOT change to synthetic oils during the break-in period.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts