Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i'll be getting my engine in and starting it up for the first time either this weekend or next weekend.....

now i have new cams (delta regrinds)
rebuilt turbo
brand new block

it seems they all have different break in procedure......i know for cams you're supposed to fast idle (2000rpm) for 15 min...but i thought for engine and turbo you were supposed to idle normally for 10-15 minutes....

of course you have to prime....change oil early.....

but anyway....a little discussion of what is the best breakin procedure would be awesome. From what i've read theres two schools of thought, 1 saying you baby it for the first 5000 miles...the other saying u baby for like 1000 then beat the piss out of it....

so yeah....mostly interested in the first start idle procedure....but any input is appreciated :)

discuss!

(ps i got the heads ported and such from delta....just waiting for my camera to charge and then i'll have some pictures :D)

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
I'd baby it for about 500 miles, low rpms and low torque, don't shift too early

·
Registered
02 F-150 Extended Cab
2,610 Posts
id just drive it and not get on it too hard or not baby it either.

whenever i rebuilt the top ends in my 2-stroke dirtbikes i mixed the gas with non-synthetic oil and rode around easy for 5 mins then forgot about it. never had any problems

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fast idle? slow idle? medium idle?

·
Registered
02 F-150 Extended Cab
2,610 Posts
do u have forged pistons?

if its just a factory s/b id just keep the idle near stock

·
Registered
Your mom won't let u have it
444 Posts
drive it for half hr varying the rpms .start low then vacum down , raise the rpms lil by lil, vacum down instead of putting it in nuetral keep in gear till rpms are low ( do not stall ) then repeat . 3k then vacum down, 4k vacum down 5k etc rings seat w/ in the first 100 miles as long as you keep varying the rpms & dont maintain constant rpm. any doubts look in the owners manual they say not to race the engine .. obvious reasons , & do not drive @ a constant rpm i.e hwy driving
it's all I've ever done & never had an engine die also none burning any oil .

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts
drive it for half hr varying the rpms .start low then vacum down , raise the rpms lil by lil, vacum down instead of putting it in nuetral keep in gear till rpms are low ( do not stall ) then repeat . 3k then vacum down, 4k vacum down 5k etc rings seat w/ in the first 100 miles as long as you keep varying the rpms & dont maintain constant rpm. any doubts look in the owners manual they say not to race the engine .. obvious reasons , & do not drive @ a constant rpm i.e hwy driving
it's all I've ever done & never had an engine die also none burning any oil .
Do this after starting the car. Let the engine warm up at 2000rpms to seat the cams. Then after 10-15 mins idle normal. and go do this idea. After that drive it around normally. After about 50miles I like to change the oil and give it hell! like 20psi to teach it who is boss! Then it's up to you!

My best was 35psi at 50miles of break-in. But it's your car so do it how ever you want.

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do this after starting the car. Let the engine warm up at 2000rpms to seat the cams. Then after 10-15 mins idle normal. and go do this idea. After that drive it around normally. After about 50miles I like to change the oil and give it hell! like 20psi to teach it who is boss! Then it's up to you!

My best was 35psi at 50miles of break-in. But it's your car so do it how ever you want.

alright thanks man....i was mostly wondering about the cams and you answered that :)....

so i see you subscribe to the beat the hell out of it mentality :).....

lets just hope the tranny lasts the breakin lol....

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
alright thanks man....i was mostly wondering about the cams and you answered that :)....

so i see you subscribe to the beat the hell out of it mentality :).....

lets just hope the tranny lasts the breakin lol....
Always have and I've only had one motor failure! And that was a broken rod but my rings and bearings were mint.

Speaking of tranny, I just bought a 6 speed :eek:

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Always have and I've only had one motor failure! And that was a broken rod but my rings and bearings were mint.

Speaking of tranny, I just bought a 6 speed :eek:
nice....i think im going to give the mfactory gears a shot when these let go....

a 6 speed would be nice though....and i need better brakes anyways, and could use some new seats, maybe i'll start hunting for a rolled sti instead

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ps im confused by my valve lash....its like 4 mm right now (just got heads back from delta)......i think im doing something wrong....know any good guides to doing it? i got the cobb guide and the factory service manual..but they're both pretty vague....

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
ps im confused by my valve lash....its like 4 mm right now (just got heads back from delta)......i think im doing something wrong....know any good guides to doing it? i got the cobb guide and the factory service manual..but they're both pretty vague....
4mm? That's huge. you need:
Intake: 0.20mm +/- 0.02 mm (0.0079in +/- 0.0008 in)
Exhaust: 0.25mm +/- 0.02 mm (0.0098in +/- 0.0008 in)

Hope this helps

1 - 12 of 12 Posts