Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I know its gonna be an ALL weekend project BUT, it NEEDS to be done, Ive got a 97 Brighton Coupe with the 1.8L, its got disc brakes in the front and Drums in the rear, what I need to know is #1 has anyone installed the R1 coil over sleeve kit on the stock struts? I was thinking about putting some stock 2.5RS struts on will they work? #2 is WHERE THE HELL CAN I BUY those KFP magnum brake pads? also, I wanted to possibly install some Disc brakes on the rear? what all is involved and what parts would I need to make it work? Ok well thanks people

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I JUST did this last weekend. Look here for details.
http://ryanoneil.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=144

No pics yet but some are on the way soon.

I haven't put discs on the back of mine yet and am not sure if I will. I did the swap on my previous car (94 Dodge Shadow)and while the idea seemed great, the results weren't entirely worth the effort. I got more noticable stopping power by upgrading the front calipers to bigger units and running more aggressive pads.

If you want to do the drum/disc swap, you'll want to hit the junkyards for a donor with the parts already on it. Basically grab everything you can. The lines are different, the mounting (backing) plates are different, the knuckle 'may' be different. Make sure you grab the proportioning valve from under the hood too(see why below). Don't forget the e-brake cable either...it may be different enough (lengthwise) to not engage when you reassemble everything.

Once you have all this stuff, determine if you're gonna re-use the calipers or turn them in as cores (recommended). Taking off all the drum parts is as easy as it sounds, just have a manual nearby for torque specs and special instructions for e-brake setting, etc...

Why grab the proportioning valve from under the hood of the donor? Because you'll need the discs to have alot less pressure than what the drums needed for proper F/R bias. Not changing this valve will cause you to have too much rear bias and will possibly cause a spin in trailbraking situations. It may not be as bad as a FWD car since the center diff will equalize some of the effort, but on slippery surfaces or threshold braking, the rear will be loose or locked.

The drums are lighter than the discs and the amount of work just isn't worth the gains (to me).

I hope this helps you make a more informed decision.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Man, Im surprised I got a reply, thanks for the info its REALLY gonna help next weekend, and I dont think Im gonna swap the rear Drums.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts