Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
05 legacy sdn, 00 rs sdn
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so to all of you that have done upgraded brakes... from other subarus that is... i may be going to the junk yard in the next day or so... i need bigger front brakes, already figured out what i'm doing with the rear... rs hubs with Legacy GT rotors/brackets/pads. But what about the front.. pretty much i'm looking for the biggest set of brakes i can put on and have my 6 spokes clear without any trouble... what cars should i be looking for.. i know wrx fronts are a good upgrade.. but what else is there... what about outback fronts... how do they compair to the WRX fronts... let me know what subys i should look for and years if at all possible...
thanks

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
Are you N/A still? The worst thing you can do is add a bunch of unsprung & rotaional mass to the equation! It will be like robbing 10 hp from your car that is making precious little to start with.

Take a look at my brake up grades... All OEM sized (no extra weight) I can't get them to fade no matter how hard I drive! More then enough brake for any N/A car ~ trust me!

·
Registered
'97 white Impreza Coupe
458 Posts
I believe the biggest you can go without having to upgrade from your 6 spokes would be the WRX fronts. Legacy GT fronts would require 17" wheels. The rotor size of the Legacy fronts is actually slightly larger than the Subaru 4-pots, but the calipers are still 2 pistons.
Adding WRX fronts won't tack on a whole lot of weight. Go for it.

·
Registered
05 legacy sdn, 00 rs sdn
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, that's what I figured, but is there going to be any other subies in the junkyard with the same brakes as the wrx?

·
Registered
impreza base!
780 Posts
wrx will be the biggest you can fit under rs wheels and the 2nd biggest would be RS brakes which basicly in terms of size are the same as legacys and foresters.

so your SOL I guess...

·
Registered
05 legacy sdn, 00 rs sdn
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cheap man.... unless i can find 4 pots in a junk yard...... lol chances of that are pretty slim tho...

·
Premium Member
98 OBS, Black/Grey
2,724 Posts
+1

you will need:
WRX front caliper brackets
SS lines
Brake fluid
that high temp grease

you can still use your RS pads if you want
he has a OBS not an RS.

cheap man.... unless i can find 4 pots in a junk yard...... lol chances of that are pretty slim tho...

Then just get some wrx fronts, they can be had for $100. I have a set, pm me if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
98 OBS, Black/Grey
2,724 Posts
well the brackets should bolt on no problem. and im not sure if the pads are the same. but if they are, you can reuse them.
pretty sure the fronts are single piston on his OBS

·
Banned
'04 RS PBP w/ Black Tarmacs
1,805 Posts
Are you N/A still? The worst thing you can do is add a bunch of unsprung & rotaional mass to the equation! It will be like robbing 10 hp from your car that is making precious little to start with.

Take a look at my brake up grades... All OEM sized (no extra weight) I can't get them to fade no matter how hard I drive! More then enough brake for any N/A car ~ trust me!

I agree with NW OBS 100%. Adding even small amounts of un-sprung weight and rotational mass can have adverse effects.

I'm staying NA and I plan on addressing that. Eventually I will change out to aluminum STI A-arms and go to Racing Brake 4 Pots and two piece rotors. They use the same pads at Suby 4 pots, but weigh half as much. The two piece rotors are of course lighter too.
I will probably take a hit in the back and up-size to H6 rotors as well. It will increase thermal capacity slightly, but it's more because the rear rotors look so small.

·
Registered
05 legacy sdn, 00 rs sdn
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree with NW OBS 100%. Adding even small amounts of un-sprung weight and rotational mass can have adverse effects.

I'm staying NA and I plan on addressing that. Eventually I will change out to aluminum STI A-arms and go to Racing Brake 4 Pots and two piece rotors. They use the same pads at Suby 4 pots, but weigh half as much. The two piece rotors are of course lighter too.
I will probably take a hit in the back and up-size to H6 rotors as well. It will increase thermal capacity slightly, but it's more because the rear rotors look so small.
yes, but with the amount of power i'll be putting down.. it dont matter as far as alittle extra weight from brakes...

have a 2.0, upgrading to a vf39, dp, sti pink injectors, sti tmic, gutted up pipe, tgv deletes, ic pipes, turbo inlet, k&n drop in fliter....

so yea dont have to worry about the weight factor, just need something big that can hold up to the "spirited driving"

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,273 Posts
I would go with LGT brakes and 17" wheels. This is a very good option. You can simply get some 17" WRX wheels or LGT/Legacy wheels. LGT rears are vented rotors. You get a very good upgrade with this because you get lower profile tires for performance and some looks. 215/45/17 tires are reasonable.

For 16" wheels, yes WRX rotors would be ones to get. You can even got Subaru 4pots if you like.

OT: I have Brembos, they have very good stopping power even with my little 15/16" master cylinder, but then again I have some model of ENDLESS pads in there when i got the setup.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts