Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Enthusiast
2001 SRP L
2,513 Posts
I have a 97' Impreza bright. 1.8l I wanna go a little bigger with brakes, maybe a newer legacy or outback? what parts would i need? what part would stay and change?

Thanks!!
There is alot more to your question than you think, sometimes bigger brakes mean you have to get bigger sized rims to fit the brake rotor and caliper.

What are you trying to do with your car?

·
Registered
1998 2.5 RS, Brilliant Red
1,357 Posts
You could probably put a Legacy/RS front brake set on your car without too much trouble. If you have rear drums, then you need to decide whether to keep those or switch to rear discs... which will be more involved. Read BUDGET BUILD in FAQ, post #36 in that thread has a section on upgrading brakes that might help you out. http://www.rs25.com/forums/f106/t80104-budget-build-faq.html

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L FWD coupe
295 Posts
Most like will have rear drums. If so you can try to find a complete knuckle and hub off a car with rear disks. Then replace the master cylinder and proportioning valve with ones from a car with disks all the way around. Also the ebrake cables need to be changed.

If you have disks all the way around just make sure that your wheels can clear them. I believe I have seen 15" steel wheels in pictures of your car so subaru 2/4 pots should fit. If you have alloys for the summer you may need 16s

·
Registered
1997 Impreza L (Panda)
14 Posts
You could probably put a Legacy/RS front brake set on your car without too much trouble. If you have rear drums, then you need to decide whether to keep those or switch to rear discs... which will be more involved. Read BUDGET BUILD in FAQ, post #36 in that thread has a section on upgrading brakes that might help you out. http://www.rs25.com/forums/f106/t80104-budget-build-faq.html
It's really not too bad to do this. I put Legacy rear disks on my 96 Brighton with out any issues, everything blotted up just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.