Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best stock sized brake pad and rotor for a 2001 rs ? What are the prices and what should I stay away from?
My wifes suby is about to hit 40k and the rears are about gone yet the fronts are still good- anyone else have this happen? Usually the fronts are the first to go.
Thanks Joel

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Well, my rears started squealing recently, so I changed all 4. The rears are still squealing, but it could have been because I didn't apply any anti-squeal lube on the backing of the pads.

FWIW, I got Axxis Metal Masters for my front pads, and Axxis Delux pads for my rears. I was told they had extra long life, and good grip w/ little to none rotor damage. I don't autocross, so I'm expecting long life from these pads. Nicely priced, too.

There's a lot of different rotor choices and pad choices out there.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Axxis makes a good pad...

OEM pads are NOT bad either...

56k and i'm still on my original pads...
i dont brake much.. i downshift a LOT
and have tons of hwy miles...

good luck
Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
PADS:

There's a ton. I have Porterfield R4-S street-compound pads on all four corners of my RS. Got them from www.subaruwrxparts.com/per-gc8.html .

ROTORS:

Well, that same site (Exeter Subaru) has tremendous prices on rotors. They sell WRX fronts for $100/pr., which is about 45% less than most dealerships charge, I've found. I assume their RS rotors are even cheaper, but you'll have to Email to find out (Brian at [email protected] ).

There's also Brembo replacement rotors at TireRack...

Or FrozenRotors.com, which is where I got mine. My fronts were warped so I got some from FR. They're cryo-treated Brembo rotors just like the ones TireRack sells. More expensive though of course, due to the cryogenic treatment process. About $180/pair for mine, a pinch more for WRX-sized rotors.

I'm not in to slotting or cross-drilling, so I won't tell you about any of those. :p

-S2-
EDIT: Sweet!! This is my 200th post. :)

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
i have the EBC reds on the fronts. i have been extremely happy with them. they don't dust up too bad and work in the cold but also kick ass for auto-x. come summer i'll probably be replacing all 4 with new reds.

the metal master pads that Paul sells are also very good and Paul is a very good guy to deal with.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Yup, Paul at get-primitive is an awesome vendor.

Siper2, I'm assuming your rotors are not drilled or slotted, correct? Did you guy the rotors directly from frozenrotors, or did you send in your rotors to be treated? I could just make a 30 min drive to get there, so I will be going to them in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts