Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Impreza RS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my brake rotors, pads and lines. Bled the lines same as I did last year. Can't find any leaks any where. Everything worked fine afterwards last year. This year the brake pedal was very very firm after I bled the brakes.

Now the pedal is only firm while the car is off. Once I turn the car on all the firmness dissapears and the pedal goes straight to the floor. On my test run I had to pump the brakes to get them to fully engage. Once I parked the car and turned it off the pedal once again became very firm and hard to press.

I'm still doing some research myself, but I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts or ideas that could point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
2003 Impreza RS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I continued pumping more brake fluid through the lines along with cycling the abs, still having the same problem. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS, Sedona Red
41 Posts
Make sure you're bleeding the brakes with the car off to begin with.

Are you using a bleeder bottle? If not, how are you preventing air from recirculating through the detent when bleeding?

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder? This is apparently a common brake problem that Ive seen on here a lot. There are quite a few threads about these procedures so you shouldnt have trouble searching for the appropriate one if you think any of these are your problems.

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
Make sure you're bleeding the brakes with the car off to begin with.

Are you using a bleeder bottle? If not, how are you preventing air from recirculating through the detent when bleeding?

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder? This is apparently a common brake problem that Ive seen on here a lot. There are quite a few threads about these procedures so you shouldnt have trouble searching for the appropriate one if you think any of these are your problems.
You don't need a bleeder bottle. You just need 2 people. One pumps and holds the brakes while the other releases and then tightens the bleeder valves.

Are you bleeding the brakes in the correct order? Which order did you bleed them in?

Bench bleeding the MC is only necessary if you allow air to be sucked into the MC. (i.e. you don't have enough fluid in the resovoir and you pump the brakes pushing air into the MC - when bleeding brakes, always keep an eye on the fluid resovoir to make sure it doesn't get too low. Bench bleeding is a PITA).

I would also reccormmend continuing bleeding the brakes. Sometimes it takes several full bleeds to get all the air out of the system.

·
Registered
2003 Impreza RS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes using a bleeder bottle, I'm using the 2 person bleeding method and as Danny said you don't even need a bottle that way.

I'm using the correct order as stated in my manual: FR RL FL RR.

No the fluid did not drop below the min line in the master cylinder tank.

I just ordered some speed bleeders and the blue brake fluid so I am going to bleed out from the calipiers until everything is running blue. If that doesn't work guess I'll be bench bleeding the MC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts