Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
White 2001 2.5RS Sedan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I've just completed swapping my RS and it has highlighted the need for better brakes.

I also just had a very interesting weekend driving a Porsche 993 with Porsche Big Reds on it from Atlanta to Denver and the brake pedal feeling in it was absolutely magical. Immediate braking from the very moment I glanced the pedal.

I got back in my car today after a little recovery from the 24 hour drive and the pedal feeling made me want to cry.

There's a considerable deadzone before the pedal began to feel like it was making pressure. Not like the brakes aren't bled correctly, I know what that feels like and this isn't it.

SO PLEASE SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE WITH ME.

What upgrades or techniques exist that will help with pedal feel? STi Brembos on all four corners is the current plan, stainless steel lines are already installed. I'm hoping moving to the fixed caliper will help some with that terrible deadzone.

I'm not expecting to make my Subaru feel as good as a Porsche, I'm trying make it less aggravating because I didn't know I hated it until I drove one.

Thanks for any tips and happy New Year!

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
494 Posts
I can tell you that after replacing the brake booster in my 92 SVX with one from a 99 Legacy GT, it felt like a different car. Braking feel, not necessarily performance but FEEL, was drastically improved. So perhaps a newer Impreza/WRX/STI brake booster could help things out?

Maybe check that the vacuum line to the brake booster is in good condition and not leaking. Basically make sure the booster is getting good vacuum.

You can also adjust the pedal travel before engagement by disconnecting the brake booster rod from the brake pedal and spinning the 'U' bracket up the rod, closer to the firewall. It'll pull things closer together so there's less looseness, but don't go too far or the brakes will be constantly engaged. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,740 Posts
Are you planning on tracking your car? Brembos are nice and all but they are all but overkill for a daily driver. 4/2 pots makes a huge difference in brake feel without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
2001 Black RS Coupe
53 Posts
You might know some of these, but better to just say it.
  1. Brake master cylinder brace. (Highly recommend)
  2. Make sure fluids are fresh. Brake fluid absorbs water.
  3. When you bled the brakes, did you activate ABS as well?
  4. Possibly adjust the brake pedal?

·
Registered
2001 Black RS Coupe
53 Posts
When you say that, can you please elaborate? I just deleted my ABS system, but I'm still curious
There are some OBDII readers that will activate/cycle the ABS. This is good to bleed the air remaining in the ABS lines. If you don't have that specific reader then you could do it two other ways.
1. Driving the car in the while on jacks to a relative speed then smash on the brakes (Basically simulating that your car has no grip). You will know it was activated when you feel a force on the brake pedals fight you.
2. Find the connector with the two diagnosis pins and activate in spots 3 and 6. (How to cycle ABS pump for bleed)

I battled with spongy brakes when I first got my car. I did recall, activating ABS and bleeding helped a lot. (SS lines and brake master cylinder brace too.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts