Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading about brake pads, choices, brands, prices, etc., for days and still can't make a decision.

I've got a 98 Outback Sport and am mounting 98 RS calipers on the front end. The car will be used mostly for aggressive street and hiway driving.

Without going into lengthy responses about why, suspension, etc., can I get some help in trying to pick out a GOOD set of pads for me? Naturally, I don't like the dust OR noise, but I need something that will give me better stopping than what I've got now. I have 17" Koenigs with 215X45 Champiro tires and Goodridge brake lines. Original mileage is about 58K and the pads really need to be replaced, which is why I'm going to the RS calipers, too.

Deal is, I WANT and NEED to get better stopping. I'll trade a bit more dust and noise but don't really want to if I can get away with it. I'd rather deal with the dust, I guess, cuz at least I can wash it away, where the squeal could be a real pain in the ((((((((.

KPR(?), Endless, Pagid, even Raybestos HD have gotten recommendations along with others. Any strong comments here?

Thanks, Ron

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Well, like I mentioned in my thread somewhere in General, I got the KFP's and they are awesome. And, if you call KFP and mention the RS Club they will give you 10% off the price.

Search for posts by me with KFP to get more details. :)

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
CRAP I forgot all about the KFP pads! D'oh.

Well, I just ordered myself a set of Porterfield Street pads from Exeter Subaru in NH. Like $119 for the fronts and $74 for the rears, or something like that. They're a great vendor, I buy from them a lot and their prices are great, so...

I just totally forgot about the 10% off deal with the KFP ones. Bummer, I would've liked to do some cross-research.

-S2-

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
i've been quite happy with the EBC reds. they aren't great when cold (though they will work for around town driving) but when they get warm they really grip, enough to kick on the ABS sometimes with R compounds, which the stock pads wouldn't do :)

·
Registered
2001 Silverthorn Coupe
144 Posts
enough to kick on the ABS sometimes with R compounds, which the stock pads wouldn't do
The stock pads can lock up the brakes just fine with R rated tires. I drive around daily on R compound tires, and ABS still vibrates on occasion. They will start to fade sooner (bacause they will heat up faster) and you will not be able to activate the ABS, but if you are not ripping around you can lock up the brakes on R compounds with the ABS fuse removed.

You might want to have your brakes checked if you can't do it at all.

cheeRS,

Greg

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Maybe I should have been more clear - I can LOCK the brakes with these pads, for a good 1/2 second before the ABS has time to kick in. All four wheels at once.

Can you do that with stock pads? I never could in my car, so for me that is a major difference. And I do this with very little pedal effort, too. :eek:

·
Registered
2001 Silverthorn Coupe
144 Posts
Ahhhhhh..... yea, thats a bit different then.

I haven't tried it with the stock pads. Your probably right that they woun't do that. i don't want to try because the tires get flatspots to easy on the front at speed. I've since stopped pulling the fuse because of it.

cheeRS,

Greg

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Section 8 said:

The stock pads can lock up the brakes just fine with R rated tires. I drive around daily on R compound tires, and ABS still vibrates on occasion. They will start to fade sooner (bacause they will heat up faster) and you will not be able to activate the ABS, but if you are not ripping around you can lock up the brakes on R compounds with the ABS fuse removed.

You might want to have your brakes checked if you can't do it at all.

cheeRS,

Greg
my experience is all on smooth pavement for auto-x. there, they wouldn't trip the ABS. i did fade them once at an auto-x T&T, but that's it. the Reds trip the ABS with the R1s no problem under heavy braking.

i never tried it with the fuse pulled, though.

oh, my brakes are in fine shape ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts