Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,254 Posts
To answer your question, you can indeed put larger rear calipers on your Legacy, so long as you use the appropriate caliper bracket (if different), rotor (if different) and brake pad (if different). Your braking will be slightly more rear biased, which will result in a slight (subjective?) improvement in brake feel.

I personally like putting on 4th Generation Legacy GT rear brakes, because they have 290mm vented rotors, but still use your ebrake. They should be a similar price to what you're proposing above. Just need the calipers+brackets, rotors and pads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your answer. my 98 is a mk2, from what i can tell from looking at partnumbers, on the mk2 the sedan and wagon has the slight diffrence in piston size, however im not 100% sure theres not other diffrences as well, but they look identical. From year 2000 and up, sedan and wagons seems to use identical calipers.

I have and still is considering using the 290mm brakes, but since i would need new rotors as well im not really sure its worth it on this car, its a car thats lucky if it has a couple of years left cuz of rust.
What to do with the backingplates if i go with the 290mm brakes? can u just swap them over as well? or do you guys run without them? Thanks again for your help.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,254 Posts
The 290mm brakes bolt up but the rotor is larger so you'll have to trim the brake shield. Or remove it.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts