Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 2001 RS. Of course I had to test the brakes in the snow. I noticed during hard braking that the brake indicator on the dash lights up. Is this supposed to happen? or perhaps I need more brake fluid, or maybe it's something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

·
Registered
67 Posts
does your abs still work? Because on most honda cars, they have abs lights that like up to tell you that your abs sensor needs to be looked at.

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Subie Gal is right, when your brakes start to wear and the fluid replaces the space your pads use to occupy by the calipers it lowers the level in your master cylinder. Check the level and also check your pads. They may need replacing or are getting close.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You were correct

Peaty,

You were correct, the brake fluid was low due to worn pads. The car will need brakes and tires but that is to be expected, when you buy a car with 34,000 miles on it. A small price to pay for finally being able to get my RS.

Thanks for your help.:)

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Pads are pretty easy to replace. Check the Scoobymods site there are some pics there that will help. Just remember when you push the piston back into the caliper, all that brake fluid will push back and possibly overflow the master cylinder. You don't want to get brake fluid on anthing if you can avoid it. That's nasty stuff.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No,

It wasn't the ABS light.

It was actually the light on the right side that says "brake" and lights up in red. The same light that will go on if you use the emrgency brake.

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
If your ABS light is on after the car is started (It should light for a second then go off as a bulb test) that means your ABS isn't working and something is wrong with it. Have it looked at. What year and modle is your car I have the 99 owners manual in PDF format.

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
Re: what light

Wannascooby said:
are you talking about the yellow ABS light to the left of the gauges? Mine stays on all the time, is that bad?
If your ABS is out, it might be an ABS fuse or a broken sensor line. (thin plastic tubing that connects to each caliper)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts