Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'06 LGT SWP
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soo i changed my rotors and lubbed up all my pins and whatnot (not the rotor or the pads) last weekend (a week ago) and now lately (pass 2 days) the brakes are acting up... They dont brake like they used too...

The brake pedal feels really mushy... and when braking really really hard (pedal to the floor) the abs doesnt even kick in, is that normal?Also they dont brake like they used too. Im running Hawk HP pads here... and well another thing, i had the dealer here in Magog (Québec) do a small general inspection, and they told me that my brake fluid was really dirty, i had changed it last summer, how come its all dirty again??

Im in need to rebuild te front calipers, how much do they run at? for a 01 2.5rs? Is there a way to solve the mushy brake pedal feel?

Let me know guys!
JP

·
Premium Member
2002 Aspen White WRX (sedan)
2,402 Posts
First i would check for leaks, then check to make sure your fluid is actually dirty. Thirdly re bleed all them, if not flush the system completely. See how that goes, do you have SS lines? If not maybe your lines are getting worn out.

·
Registered
2017 WRB BRZ w/PP
1,739 Posts
Yeah, start with what Initial said. Sounds like you have a slow leak somewhere or some air trapped in the system. How did you go about changing the brake fluid? Did you just replace or did you have someone do a power flush? I'd recommend a power flush after you find out why the mushiness.

As for rebuilding calipers, I don't think I've seen a rebuild kit for stockers. I know they make them for 4pots and Brembos tho.

·
Registered
'06 LGT SWP
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, start with what Initial said. Sounds like you have a slow leak somewhere or some air trapped in the system. How did you go about changing the brake fluid? Did you just replace or did you have someone do a power flush? I'd recommend a power flush after you find out why the mushiness.

As for rebuilding calipers, I don't think I've seen a rebuild kit for stockers. I know they make them for 4pots and Brembos tho.
How do i go about flushing the whole system?? Doing a powerflush?? Im need of help, can i do this alone?? Ill most likely buy stainless braided lines... and install them.. and went for an hour drive, and still does it, really mushy feel to the brake, and now my passenger front side, has a weird noise coming fromt them, its like something is grinding metal on metal, but i think its just the pads that are sliding or the pistons are pushing on the pads, since before i did my small maintenance they were also doing it, then stopped then started again...

Ill buy brake fluid and do a full system bleed... Is there a specefic way to do it?

Let me know guys!
JP

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
One other thing...

You said you had the Hawk HP, right? Isn't that their racing pad? If so, that would explain some... It's not meant to be good for street driving, only when it heats up a lot (as in racing).

Just a thought.

·
Registered
'06 LGT SWP
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One other thing...

You said you had the Hawk HP, right? Isn't that their racing pad? If so, that would explain some... It's not meant to be good for street driving, only when it heats up a lot (as in racing).

Just a thought.
Yea, i dont remember quite which ones i got, i have Hawk pads, but not the racing ones, just the good semi-racing road use ones, not for racing but better than stockers, but before i didnt need to heat them alot in order to brake properly...

What could it be...

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts

·
Registered
'06 LGT SWP
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ok then you probably have the HPS, that's what I have too.

As for brake bleeding:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182

ALWAYS refer to ScoobyMods if you're planning on doing a mod or maintenance. Chances are, Peaty and Kastle have already written something up, on it. :D Alternatively, Brian's site:

http://www.northursalia.com/modifications/brakes/bleeding/bleeding.html

I do actually think there's a 2-pot rebuild, though it's probably just new seals and maybe some lubricant.
Thanks for the links... but will this fix my problem?? Changing the whole fluids, and also is there a way to fix the mushy feel of the pedal? Or its all common on Impreza's...

Ill go ahead and change the brake fluid and do a full system bleed...

Thanks.. but still needing help...

·
Registered
'06 LGT SWP
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Soo small update again, i redid my whole Bed-In / Burnishing Instructions for hawk HPS pads, and when i parked the car, too cool down, as they say for 15mins... the passenger side wheel was exerting alot of heat (if you touched the rim it was hotter than the driver's side) Soo this means that the passenger side brake is braking harder than the driver's side, i havent yet changed the fluids in the car yet.. ill be doing that this week sometime, but what can cause the passenger side brake to be hotter than the driver's side??

JP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts