Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Outback Sport BRP
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, So I have decided to upgrade the front brakes, and convert the rear on my 1997 OBS. I saw the DIY, but it pertains to the RS models and I'm just worried for us OBS owners there are a few extra things

Onto the front brakes upgrade:
I just need the caliper brackets, calipers, and rotor from an Impreza 02-07 model or it has to be the specific WRX model?

I can currently get my hands on a 2004 wagon TS front setup.

Onto the rears:
If i'm pulling it from a 1998 Legacy, I should get the knuckle, backing plate, caliper, rotors, hub, and caliper brackets.

Let me know if I'm missing something or should remove something.

·
Registered
2001 Outback Sport EJ22NA-T
86 Posts
I can't speak for the fronts but the list you have for the rears looks correct to me. Make sure you get the hubs/bearings with the knuckle and you need parking brake cables from an RS. Some say you also want to get the master cylinder and brake proportioning valve but others say not to worry about it. I am doing the rear conversion in a few months but I didn't get the MC or pro valve so we'll see.

·
Registered
227 Posts
For the fronts, you need to check rotor fitment too. Depending on the year, the rotors are not compatible with all models, but I just did WRX fronts onto my 97 and it was a straight swap.

·
Registered
06 WRX STi AW
290 Posts
Thank you I've been looking into doing this as well an been wondering the very same question!!!

·
Registered
Bugeye and STiL
587 Posts
im not sure the ts brakes are an upgrade, wrx are for sure.

you will want to convert your master cylinder if you are converting from singe piston front and drum rears to 2 piston front/disc rear.
you can check the marking on your master cylinder to see if you need to upgrade it
if it is 15/16", you need an upgrade
if it is 1 1/16" then you already have to largest mc Subaru makes.

if your car is non abs 15/16" you can buy the mc for an 93-96 non abs svx, direct bolt on and has a 1/8" larger piston.
I run that mc with my 06 wrx 4/2 pot brakes on my 96 L wagon and its great.

if your car is abs 15/16" you can use pretty much any 1 1/6" mc from any impreza wrx, sti , etc.
you will need the pigtail for the level sensor depending on the model you pull the mc from.

if you can get the proportioning valve from the car the rear brakes came from it cant hurt to swap that out too. I haven't swapped mine yet and the rear brakes lock up on my wagon under hard braking.

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Outback Sport BRP
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im not sure the ts brakes are an upgrade, wrx are for sure.

you will want to convert your master cylinder if you are converting from singe piston front and drum rears to 2 piston front/disc rear.
you can check the marking on your master cylinder to see if you need to upgrade it
if it is 15/16", you need an upgrade
if it is 1 1/16" then you already have to largest mc Subaru makes.

if your car is non abs 15/16" you can buy the mc for an 93-96 non abs svx, direct bolt on and has a 1/8" larger piston.
I run that mc with my 06 wrx 4/2 pot brakes on my 96 L wagon and its great.

if your car is abs 15/16" you can use pretty much any 1 1/6" mc from any impreza wrx, sti , etc.
you will need the pigtail for the level sensor depending on the model you pull the mc from.

if you can get the proportioning valve from the car the rear brakes came from it cant hurt to swap that out too. I haven't swapped mine yet and the rear brakes lock up on my wagon under hard braking.

I think the TS calipers are 2 pots IIRC, but still isn't really an upgrade. I've been looking around for WRX calipers, but no luck yet or just pricey. I found a good deal on the brackets though...

Do the WRX's run 294mm or 295mm? I get really worried about compatibility sometimes to the point I do hours of research just to find out I was right all along..

I'm thinking it's 294mm and I'm getting '02 caliper brackets and calipers.

I'll check the MC tomorrow before work.

Thanks a lot for the responses!
I have a feeling others are probably wondering the same thing as I am and hopefully we can answer more in this thread about brakes.:)

·
Registered
2000, OBS, RustRed
206 Posts
I am indeed wondering the same thing as I need to replace the rotors and pads on my 2000 OBS soon. I'd like to just invest in an upgrade rather than buying stock parts again.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS/95 GF8/01 LGT
297 Posts
I just installed 05 2.5RS brakes on my 01 Legacy and was able to use the stock rotor with just replacing the caliper and bracket. That being said I'm not sure if 97 has a smaller rotor but you could get away with using the stock one if not.

I hope that helped a little.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts