Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1994 WRX RA
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's the situation, when I apply the brakes, I get a loud single click from the brakes. It comes from all 4 corners whenever it wants. There is no rhyme or reason. Sometimes going fast, sometimes going slow, up hill, down hill, turning or going straight. It does not occur every time and not all 4 click at the same time. Sometimes it is just one, two, all four, or none. I have checked all bolts concerning the brake system. I am running 4 pot fronts and 1 pot rears with Porterfield racing pads and EBC slotted/dimpled rotors and Endless SS braided lines. My brake cylinder is the stock 1" and I am using Brembo fluid. This should not effect it, but I also have the Cusco brake cylinder brace. The only known issues in that area of the car is a torn inner tire rod boot in the front right and the left rear wheel bearing is starting to go. I am going to try replacing the rear pads with some Endless brake pads I have laying around to see if it is the pads themselves but till then I am looking for advice on what it could be.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
/\ This. There are shims that keep the pads from going forward and back. They are tiny and just go on one corner of each pad and get held by one pin. They are kind of tricky to get in correctly.

·
Registered
1994 WRX RA
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Both sides of the pads have the metal clips that go into the capliers and the vented and non-vented shims are installed on the back of the pad. Are you refering to the little clip that squeals when the pads get low. What about the 4 pots, they are not floating. Would they require the same clip? I know this is a strange request, but anyone got pics of this clip?

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
There are:
-the wide shims that go on the backs of the pads, so they can move freely against the pistons, and
-the tiny "L" shaped clips with one hole, each pad has only one and I assume they go on the front edge (between the front of the pad backing and the caliper body) That's where I installed mine. I would take a pic but its basically flooding outside

Hold on, I know where a good pic is....

My aftermarket pads came with shims glued so I didn't use the larger oem shims, though I may peel off the glue shims and install the stockies

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
The 4pots do use the small clips, one for each pad. Its an L shape, the short leg of the L goes on the edge of the pad pointing towards the fender and the long side of the L goes between the front of the pad backing (steel part) and the caliper where the pad slides. Its snug but slides in. This keeps the pad from slightly shifting forward and smacking the caliper when you press the brakes. They use them in other cars as well, just different shapes/designs. Sorry I couldn't find the photo, it was in the "Extensive 4pot 2pot thread" on Nasioc but many of the photos are gone. There was a parts list with exploded diagram from Subaru. Maybe go to subarugenuineparts.com and enter a 2006 subaru impreza wrx and click illustration after searching for front brake parts. Maybe there will be an exploded view... Ok, I searched there and no dice. Maybe northursalia has some pics

·
Registered
1994 WRX RA
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool man, thanks for the help. I'll have a look today and see if there is anything there. I think I know what you are talking about on the rears, but I have never taken apart the front 4 pots so I am unsure there. I have been guessing it is the pads slapping the calipers around some and have not been worried function wise, just gets annoying when it happens.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
There is a pic of the clips in this ebay ad, there is one for each pad and it mounts on the front edge. The pin holds it in:
CARLSON 13483 Front Brake Disc Hardware Kit | eBay

The pads just move a hair forward and tap the calipers, just an annoying sound really. The little clips keep the pad snug so it doesn't slide forward or back. The pads only need to slide toward the rotor (in) or away(out), not front or back.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
On those types of pads there is also a small wear indicator clip that snaps on one end of the pad (the rear/bottom end). It touches the rotor when the pad wears down and also keeps a little pressure upward/forward so the pad doesn't have a small gap between it and the caliper.

·
Registered
1994 WRX RA
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, thanks for the info, now I know what I need to be looking for when hunting for parts. Hopefully I can get these clips and stop this really loud click when I hit the brakes. When I get these installed I'll try to post here to share the results in case anyone else runs into this issue.

·
Registered
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5 Rs
3,712 Posts
Do you even have shims on those pads? It's hard to tell on the picture. I know my front ones I put on didn't come with any and I didn't have any laying around so I just slapped them on. For the first 3 months or so I'd get a click from the drivers front at slower speeds like when I was in traffic. Drove me crazy where I was going around seeing if any guys at work had extra shims for that style. Then it went away for me.

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS SRP sedan
593 Posts
Just to make sure it's the pads shifting, try to duplicate the sound by rolling forward and hitting the brakes. Then roll backward and hitthe brakes again.

It's very likely the shims...

·
Registered
1994 WRX RA
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A couple of days ago I decided to go ahead and redo the rear brakes, first trying to get a squeal clip in there. Well, the clip would not fit in the small space so I went ahead and fully cleaned off all the old brake grease and reinstall them. Since then there has been no noise at all so I guess it just sounded like the click was coming from all 4 sides when in fact it was just the rears. Thanks to everyone for their information and advice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.