Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be switching to a TMIC soon, and I was wondering where the best place for the BOV to go is? I'm hopefully going to use the intercooler I have from a '98 WRX. I have basically two options:
1) cut a hole in the intercooler and weld the BOV flange to it

2)install the BOV in the piping from the turbo to the intercooler; there will be plenty of room for this because of the turbo I'm using.

I'd prefer to mount it in the piping, since it would be a lot easer because I wouldn't have to cut the flange off the pipe it's welded to and weld it to something else, plus I wouldn't have to cut up and weld on the intercooler. However, I want what will work best. Any ideas? I'll post a very crude photoshopped-type pic to help. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Below is the pic; please no comments on the crappy photoshop job!:) The blue is obviously the intercooler, and the green is about how the pipes will go, although from the angle of that picture it's hard to make it look right. I put two red X's on there; one for choice 1, and one for choice 2.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Number one is the more standard that I have seen, but I am sure either will work just fine. I have seen them in various places on different cars. For example, on my Typhoon, the preferred (actually ONLY) place to put it would be #2.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear!

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Number one is the more standard that I have seen, but I am sure either will work just fine.
not quite. basically, you want it as close to the throttlebody as possible. this basically means off the I/C just to the passenger side of the TB. think about it, the BOV is activated when you close the the throttle plates causing the air that has already been sent up there by the turbo to stack up. if you allow this to happen, it will eventually get back to the turbo and start breaking blades and other badness. you want to vent that air ASAP, i.e. at the throttle body. this also allows more of the compressed air to stay in the system since you're removing it at one end. you stick it in the middle of the pipping, and you're going to decrease effectiveness and increase lag.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
basically, you want it as close to the throttlebody as possible
:curse:
I was afraid of that! Oh well.:(

:D

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
If its a WRX IC (regardless of year) it should have a BOV flange on the IC already. There shouldn't be any need to cut a hole in the IC.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If its a WRX IC (regardless of year) it should have a BOV flange on the IC already. There shouldn't be any need to cut a hole in the IC.
There is a "flange" on it, but it will have to come off; it'll hit the EGR valve. I want to leave the EGR valve on so I don't have to look at the CEL all the time. :) Plus, if something does go wrong that would throw a CEL, I wouldn't really know. Anyway, it's more of a tube than a flange, so I'll probably cut that off and weld it shut, and use the other side. I'll see if I can get some pics of the actual intercooler. Also, I may not even be using this intercooler; last time I tried to test-fit it, it didn't fit! If it ever gets above -100 degrees outside, I'm going to see what I can do to make it fit.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
last time I tried to test-fit it, it didn't fit!
Oh yeah, that was with the Y-pipe removed! Anybody have any ideas on that one? :)

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've found a better way. Assuming the intercooler will fit, I'm probably going to use the existing flange and go RX-7 style. Any ideas on this?:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll have to make the flange for the hose at the BOV end, but it should be the easiest approach. I just hope it will work good.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You're going from FMIC to TMIC?
Not exactly. I'm going from a side-mount to a top-mount. The one I have on there now is from an eclipse. Here is a pic:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It sits inside the bumper cover on the passenger side, but has piping about as long as a front-mount, so I get a lot of lag.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts