Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 Subaru Impreza RS coupe -
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard the Borla headers sound damn nice, but the MRT headers put out more power...
What do you guys say to this, and also about Cobb's new headers coming out.

Opinions and all please, I'd like to get this mod on sometime pretty soon. Go ahead and throw in what you think would be a good high flow cat as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Zeo, did you see the pics in the TXIC forum of my headers? I have custom headers that cost under $200 and a Catco high flow cat (many options, all under $100 from Summit Racing, mine was $80 shipped with dual O2 sensor bungs). The Borla's do sound great but the power is nil, the MRT's make good power and the price is good BUT if you can do it cheaper, why not?

Here's a couple pics of my setup:

(oh, and the drivers side piece that is hanging down was adjusted by the exhaust shop a week later (no cost) due to ground clearance issues).

·
Premium Member
2000 Subaru Impreza RS coupe -
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome man, thanks.
I'll keep all of this in mind when I am ready to buy. I should be ready to buy right now, but my brother-in-law has decided he wants to sell his R6, and ohhhh god, do I want it! :lol:

Thanks for all the great info!

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
mmmm R6. The exhaust shop is up in Wichita Falls, he quoted me "about $200" for non-regular customers but you'd need to drive up here. If you can't find anyone local the shop's name is Bartosh's Muffler, owned by Felix Bartosh.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Its regular aluminized pipe that I polished up. The primaries are 1.75" into 2" secondaries and 2.25" cat & catback. Each bend (elbow) was bent from the next size up pipe (1 7/8", 2.25") and rounded to get as close to mandrel bent as we could. All in all the thing is awesome. I had a custom y-pipe using the stock collectors/primaries with the single high-flow cat and I thought that was good performance... this setup, however, blows the original y-pipe out of the water!

·
It's not a GC
07 WRX Wag0nz
9,387 Posts
Hey Very nice headers! how much of an increase would you say you've gained? I have the borlas and they so sound nice...but they lack the power that I want.

Hey what about the Bruelen set-up anyone know where I can see them on-line?

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Well, I'd say that the original y-pipe/high flow setup gave me close to 5-10hp (10 being the realistic minimum noticeable on the butt dyno). This setup probably gave me another 5-8hp or so. The MRTs dyno at ~15 hp at the wheels and I'd say that these are definately on par. With the other mods (CAI, Cams, UD Pulley, ProECM, etc) they may actually be putting out a tad more. Bear in mind that this is conjeture since I haven't dynoed any of my setups but the picture below shows how close the car was to a WRX with just the y-pipe and no ECM:

As for a link to the brullen setup, try this link:
http://members.i-club.com/ViewMemberPics.cfm?MemberID=1290&PicNumber=5

1 - 8 of 8 Posts