Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here's the story, I bought my setup from some guy it came with everything that I wanted. Especially the headers so I bought the stuff from him and 2 yrs later I get the common header crack @ the joint where the header connects to the cat.

I E-mail borla they reply asking for the recepts. Well I don't have it cause I bought it from that guy 2 yrs ago. I tell them that I lost it hope'n that they will say its ok.

A week later no responds so I call and leave a message. Some guy calls me back saying well it looks like you bought it from someone else. You'll need to call them and have it replaced. Well now I'm further back in the hole because I said that I bought it from Cobb hope'n that they would see that I'm not some smuck of the street.

What should I do? Its not really bothering me but I'd just like to get it fixed or replaced.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
I'm not familiar with their warranty period - is it still under warranty? If so, then you will need to figure some way to prove date of purchase - if you bought it new. If you bought it used, that's another story...

If you bought it new, how did you pay? Check or credit card? You might be able to get your bank to provide evidence of the purchase which might help. Personally, I would ask what information they need, and what other options you have. Believe it or not, a lot of times if you ask the reps for help, they'll go out of their way to be creative, but you have to be really polite and professional (not that you aren't, just fair warning!) :)

Otherwise, you may ask them what it costs to have it repaired. Or if they offer a replacement, you might ask them how long they made this model for, and if the warrany is 3 years, and they only made it for two, then who cares when you bought it, there is no way it could be out of warranty.

You know? Think... what options are there... ?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. But I guess I didn't say it but I bought it from a Guy for the board way back like 2yrs ago. As far as paper work its was done in cash we meet each other and exchanged in a parking lot.

Borla's warrenty is 100,000 miles... well I haven't even broken the 50,000 so I'm fine on that aspect.

As for the story. well I sorta told the guy (Borla) that I bought them from Cobb (which I didn't. I thought that if I mentioned a good name like cobb I'd be in good hands. obviously that's not the case becuase he still needed papers)

Is there anything that I can do?

The reason why I didn't right out say that I bought it from some guy from a message board was because they can have every reason why not to repair or replace my part. I just thought that telling them that I got my headers from a good name they say oh ok well cobb's been good to us and since you've been doing business with them we'll replace it. No Problem!

What now?

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Okay, so you need to find out if they honor the warranty after a second-party sale has been done. I bet they don't because how do they know how many miles have really accrued on the part?

you know... 80k miles on car one, then 80k miles on car two, but how would they know?

I think you should consider paying to have it repaired if that is the case... :(

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

James your the man... AKA Big Brother of the Subie World...

Yea I know that's some major ass kissing but its alot of weight of my chest... plus I'll be doing the sway soon anyways... thanks!

·
Registered
139 Posts
if im not mistaken, i believe borla has a 1 million mile warrenty. in which case there would be no way you've overshot it.
proof of a proper install may be neccesary however. i had to deal with that crap on a cell phone that malfunctioned 3 months after i got a new antenna for it. if it's a do it yourself job, you might be screwed. juz my .02
blah #2... im gonna check their website in a sec to find out 4 sure and ill post an edit if i find im wrong. gl

http://www.borla.com/about.us/?cartID=200301232339104.64.35.22 check it out under "WHY STAINLESS STEEL" section. says systems are guaranteed but, nothing about headers specificly.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks zoinkssooby,

But I opted to say ahh fuck it! I'm going to swap motors soon (WRX baby) so the headers won't bother me... reselling them might be an issue... what sux is that hte crack isn't really that big its where the two collector pipes meet right before the cat... ahh screw it!

Thanks for the tip...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts