Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of guys putting Borla Hush cat-backs on their Impreza WRXs. Is there any reason why this wouldn't match up to the cat in a 99 legacy outback?

I like the sound of the Hush, and this would be I think a better alternative for a more mellow sound than the Borla that fits my vehicle, which is part #14885.

If the Hush won't fit, and on that last note, has anyone had any experience using only the 14885 cat-back w/o HFC or headers, and knows what it sounds like? I'm having trouble finding a sound clip of this particular configuration.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FalconRS said:
It's an impreza, but it'll sound the same in your car, you'll just have to extend the midpipe about 6".

The Hush system for the WRX is even shorter than the 14885, in addition to the piping diameter being pretty big for n/a use.
Tone aside, is the decibel level similar in the 14885 system as in the Hush (or at least within reason)? I'm not looking to wake anybody up, and I've never really been looking for the noise part of aftermarket exhaust systems.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
lrschum said:
Tone aside, is the decibel level similar in the 14885 system as in the Hush (or at least within reason)? I'm not looking to wake anybody up, and I've never really been looking for the noise part of aftermarket exhaust systems.
except that with the stock header and catalytic converters, a catback is only a noisemaker. Performance increases are miniscule at best.

The volume on the 14885 on its own was totally liveable. It does drone inside the car, but outside it's not loud at all. And overall it got quieter when I added headers. The Borla Hush system hasn't been used in an n/a application because the piping is just too big. Larger piping also increases sound volume, so even with the quieter muffler it would be at best, the same as the 14885 that's designed for n/a applications.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FalconRS said:
except that with the stock header and catalytic converters, a catback is only a noisemaker. Performance increases are miniscule at best.

The volume on the 14885 on its own was totally liveable. It does drone inside the car, but outside it's not loud at all. And overall it got quieter when I added headers. The Borla Hush system hasn't been used in an n/a application because the piping is just too big. Larger piping also increases sound volume, so even with the quieter muffler it would be at best, the same as the 14885 that's designed for n/a applications.
Thanks, FalconRS. I had a suspicion that the sound might end up being similar b/c of the piping size specs I had read. I guess it might not be a bad idea to install the catback, then save a little more $ and install the headers. I'm not sure about a HFC, b/c the noise gain would cancel out my preference, but are there regular cats that are better than others (or at least OEM ones) for more performance gain? Would a some kind of aftmark resonator work better for this?

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts