Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
It's not a GC
07 WRX Wag0nz
9,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep on hearing this weird rattling sound coming from under my ride I think it might be the heat shield maybe a bolt that is loose I haven't gotten around to look under the car since I don't have a Jack that fits under the car (I'm lowered that's why) nor do I have the jack stands anyway for those of you who have the Borla Headers installed how did you know when (if ever) they cracked? I would assume a loss of power woul've had to occur, and if that ever happened to you did you called borla directly to get this fixed? :confused: anyway all your input will help a great deal...

FRAKK

·
Registered
54 Posts
i'm curious too. i've got the headers, and i would think the loss in power would be evident as well hearing an exhaust leak/abnormal noise. I'm not positive, but i would like to know the symptoms other than actually seeing the crack.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I knew mine were cracked when I realized they were way too loud. If it starts to sound like a Harley, get them looked at the next time its on a lift.

They should sound pretty smooth, not like a Harley!

·
Super Moderator
2000 Slingshot RS-T
3,211 Posts
I also have the Borla Headers with Stromung Cat-Back exhaust and am curious if mine are cracked as well.
I have noticed that it gets MUCH louder when the car warms up. But quiet when it is cold. Anyone else notice this? :confused:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wedge said:
I also have the Borla Headers with Stromung Cat-Back exhaust and am curious if mine are cracked as well.
I have noticed that it gets MUCH louder when the car warms up. But quiet when it is cold. Anyone else notice this? :confused:
really? mine are choppy when cold, kinda like a lawn mower (diesel of course) then smoothes out and gets a little louder when they're hot. But they still sound great to me. I love it when i'm downshifting at a light or something and it sounds like a helicopter coming down for a landing!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, I have the the gen 3 or 4 not sure but my headers cracked where the support is so it would be best to cut the support off that what I had to do and got the hole welded up no power loss really. I noticed it becouse it sounded like the car was lounder on one side then the other.... And check for black areas around the crack then you know you have a crack.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If they are cracked, you should hear an exhaust leak from under the car. Kinda like a fluttering sound.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Darby said:

really? mine are choppy when cold, kinda like a lawn mower (diesel of course) then smoothes out and gets a little louder when they're hot. But they still sound great to me. I love it when i'm downshifting at a light or something and it sounds like a helicopter coming down for a landing!
Perfect example,

I put money that they're cracked. Right at the bracket, split right across.

Sound may be good, but power may be lost....your call.

·
Registered
229 Posts
When my Borla cracked at the brace it cracked on all 4 sides at the corners. It was making a very loud pfffft! sound. Unmistakeable exhaust leak sound. Loud and obnoxious. All the cracks had black soot coming from them.

Get the car up on ramps and take a peak.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeoman said:

Perfect example,

I put money that they're cracked. Right at the bracket, split right across.

Sound may be good, but power may be lost....your call.
can i have some money then :D just kidding around, i had the car up on ramps last night and she'll be back up there tonight, no cracks. I was working on something else but this thread provoked me to check it out anyway. So I pulled the headers off and checked them out (replaced the gaskets while i was at it-they needed to be changed). It's all good, my engine has high miles too and is a 2.2 (just some other factors). for anyone who's interested, (i'm not affiliated in any way) SPO Motorsports just dropped the price of their Borla 2.2 headers to $308 from $460something (saw the price change yesterday). Still sound good, as for power loss in my 2.2, I only feel gains :happynow:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine went from soudning good, to cracked and sounding like a chopper, to welded and sounding great, now a little leaky (which I doubt they are).....These things are weird man! :curse:

I got a gen 3 and don't feel like going through all the crap to get a new one....oh well. :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts