Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone..

I just got my Borla Headers installed.
I got to say it sounds 100x better expecially with the rumble.

but here's my question. I've been hearing exhaust leaking on the headers.
But when I did a full check on it, it wasnt leaking at all.

I just wonder if this how the header should sound.

my cousin actually says it sounded like turbo spooling while he is driving behind me last night.

Can anyone please confirm if a) i do have a leak or b) it is normal.

Thanks

·
Registered
Steel Grey WRX Limited
3,043 Posts
it shouldn't sound like a turbo spooling. sounds like a leak to me.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Check for cracks in the header and check the gaskets. There are no heatshields, so you'll actually hear the gas escaping, but it shouldn't be very noticeable.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nope but i have sanded it down and silicon seal both sides
and while the car is still up on hoist, i tried putting my hand and paper wherever there is a joint but no leaks..

i tried spraying soap water to it, but it evaporize way faster then i can see bubbles.

HELP

Thanke everyone !!

·
Registered
00 2.5RS BRP
687 Posts
Same thing happened to me....start it up on a cold morning and look under the car for condensation leakin out of the gasket (mine was the one that connects to the cat)

·
Registered
Steel Grey WRX Limited
3,043 Posts
nope but i have sanded it down and silicon seal both sides
and while the car is still up on hoist, i tried putting my hand and paper wherever there is a joint but no leaks..

i tried spraying soap water to it, but it evaporize way faster then i can see bubbles.

HELP

Thanke everyone !!
seriously, ALWAYS replace the gaskets. don't put crap like silicone on them because that more than likely made it worse. those gaskets are not designed to be used with any product like that. the only thing like that you could use (and i still don't recommend it) is copper gasket paint.

get some new gaskets, don't put anything on them and that should solve your issue.

common sense guys. products made for the house shouldn't be used to seal exhaust components.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think that silicon is a special silicon made to use on cars.
its black in color..

maybe its not call silicon?
maybe sealent?

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
Yeah, silicone + high temp = melting, which is why we can bake our headlights to paint them.

Use real gaskets. Also, if you've got used borlas (or old borlas) then they do sometimes crack (i know mine did) so check at all the junctions to be sure you dont have a crack.

·
Registered
Steel Grey WRX Limited
3,043 Posts
no problem.

i've never had an A+++ before :)

·
Banned
'04 RS PBP w/ Black Tarmacs
1,805 Posts
I'd like to add one thing. I have Borlas too. I found FELPRO's header/manifold gaskets to actually seal better with Borla's then OE gaskets. They seem to conform better. Anyway last time I bought them they were like $18 for the set from Autozone. Good Luck!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Last question : what if the headers are cracked, what are the things i can do to replair other then put a tone of weld on it?

THanks
does wrapping it do any good?

·
Registered
Steel Grey WRX Limited
3,043 Posts
nope, welding is the only fix. a good welder shouldnt have to put a "ton" of material down to get a good seal.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs Silv
1,436 Posts
Wrapping them can cause it to oxidize people say. Because moisture can get trapped in it.But if you do a good job you shouldn't have anything to worry about. most people do this to try and avoid the p0420 CEL.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts