Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

borla header

5K views 67 replies 19 participants last post by  ampsarus got owned by RS25.com 
#1 ·
does the borla have an application for a 2000 RS 2.5.... i went to a dealer website and only saw application for 98-99

#8 · (Edited)
...still happy.

The lumpy V-8 idle is not as pronounced as it was the first month or so after install. The idle is smoother and quiter now:( Darn ecu!!

Fortunately still no CEL, (nothing has been done to the header in an attempt to retain heat). I'm pretty sure now I won't throw a CEL due to this header.

In my case this could be due to one, or a combination of have a MAF car, still using oe cats, or the mild SoCal weather.

#10 · (Edited)
joubtt: the BORLA header will have to be removed when I re-smog next year, it's not legal in California.

If the muffler/exhaust is not outrageously loud there shouldn't be a problem.

As far as intakes, the INJEN for sure is CARB approved. There is still some questions as to if the AEM setup has been finally CARB approved.

edit:
Of course if you "know someone";) you won't have to worry about any of this come smog time.

#12 ·
Re: Albert

joubtt said:
Do the headers cause a CEL? How can the smog test detect the headers? Thanks!

-As a consensus, all headers currently on the market will cause a CEL because they cool the exhaust gases too quickly. As you are in San Diego you MIGHT get-by. It's really a gamble, you won't know for sure until you drive a few days with it installed.

The smog test itself won't detect the header, it is the technician that will SEE it when he/she does the visual inspection - no CARB E.O. #

#14 · (Edited)
First off, the claim is 7-10hp increase depending on your other bolt-on mods.

My personal experience was for 2-3 after install it felt like I had gained 20+hp, it was vicious during acceleration (btw, the Whiteline diff bushing kit works wonders!), back then I was certain it was just a matter of time before shearing the teeth off 2nd gear. I drove the same as I always did but I had to stay more aware to take it easy. I can't say specifically how long the car felt like that so 2-3 weeks is a fair estimate, then one day I noticed the car idle was less lumpy, also smoother and acceleration was more controlled. I blame the ecu for most of the change.

Of course I didn't get 20+ from bolting up the Borla header, but I definately got the full 10hp + some from it. In combination with my other bolt-on's everthing just seemed to wake-up for those few weeks. It's been two month since install, I can still feel some improvement.

As you are aware there are other more expensive headers out there that claim more hp increase, but IMO none of them sound as nice as the Borla. Currently selling for less than than $285 shipped, it's well worth it.

#18 ·
scrubaru said:
This is a strict bolt-on if I'm not mistaken so all the longer it should take to complete is however long is takes to get the car jacked up enough to get underneath it and unbolt the header from the motor and from the exhaust correct?
Plan on a couple of hours... Could go faster but don't bet on it... If you have a lift, you can do it in like 20-30 minutes, but not w/ jackstands... Gets some goggles or safety glasses... crap will fall in to your eyes... ;)

#22 ·
header wrap causes the piping to fall apart over time due to extreme heat held in by the wrap. this is fine for race teams who replace stuff all the time, but not great for the average joe who doesn't want to buy headers all the time...

#26 ·
Borla < Brullen < MRT...

MRT is a full headerback system, but is mild steel. I have yet to hear of any systems failing due to rust, but many folks are scared of problems up north... you can have it coated. It comes w/ a high flow cat as well for ~$600... hard to beat that price. It takes a while to get, but makes more power than any headerback system.

Hope this helps...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.