Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

61 - 80 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
04 GDB 2.5RS
1,373 Posts
td04 is a safe bet if you keep boost low, t3/4 hybrid is also good for low boost setup if you go universal. You could probably get a VF11 or 10 cheap from bbs.legacycentral.com for cheap, I got one I might even want to sell.

it is a VF10 from a 1993 legacy sport sedan auto

·
Registered
'01 BRP Impreza GC8
191 Posts
where could i get a td04 for under 100? i have checked ebay for kits and all i see is universal kits :/

·
Registered
01 white GF
2,337 Posts
classifieds here or on nasioc, craigslist

i live in WA so id imagine craigslist be a lot better bet for me than would for you
ive seen them for pretty cheap from people who are just trying to clean out there garages though

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Well hell, now I know what I'm doing instead of a rebuild on my sloppy ej25, I'll go grab an ej257 or rebuild mine with lower CR and a eaton M45 SC.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru RS 2.5
2 Posts
I have a 2000 subaru 2.5 rs with the 2.5 motor, that i just put a t3 turbo on. With the waste gate, intercooler, blow and blow off valve. It was a kit that came with the car. But i had been driving it stock for a couple years. After the turbo was on, it started miss fireing. Is that because of the map sensor? Or should i put in my bigger injectors in? Im just trying to run 8psi of boost. people are telling me that i need to get the ecu chiped, and a program made for the turbo?
Your way seems a lot simpiler.

·
Registered
06 wrx wagon
143 Posts
Just curious... why do you suggest not using a stock wrx turbo? You can boost up to 14lbs, from what I've read, on stock wrx turbo. That seems to be enough for bossting a na subaru

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS BRP
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
It's a heat thing that works against you in two ways. #1 is the discharge heat from the turbo itself. 14lbs of hot air has nothing on 10lbs of cool air. An intercooler helps, but if you stop it at the source then you are much better off. Just because you can do this cheap doesn't mean you can cut corners and do it as cheap as possible. #2 is backpressure in that little turbo. With higher compression, you get higher back pressure which makes that small turbo even more of a choke point. Small turbos are actually a restriction but it takes a really long time to explain why. You'll be happier with a VF turbo or even a 16g/20g.

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
It's a heat thing that works against you in two ways. #1 is the discharge heat from the turbo itself. 14lbs of hot air has nothing on 10lbs of cool air. An intercooler helps, but if you stop it at the source then you are much better off.
This is why I'm going remote mount, and not caring that people are all pissy about it. I'd much rather have 120F air pushing my turbo than 500F air right out of the exhaust manifold.

Sometimes, stepping off the beaten path will get you made fun of, but I don't care, without innovation the world would be boring.

·
Registered
06 wrx wagon
143 Posts
It's a heat thing that works against you in two ways. #1 is the discharge heat from the turbo itself. 14lbs of hot air has nothing on 10lbs of cool air. An intercooler helps, but if you stop it at the source then you are much better off. Just because you can do this cheap doesn't mean you can cut corners and do it as cheap as possible. #2 is backpressure in that little turbo. With higher compression, you get higher back pressure which makes that small turbo even more of a choke point. Small turbos are actually a restriction but it takes a really long time to explain why. You'll be happier with a VF turbo or even a 16g/20g.
Ok do I need the sti vf or would I be fine with legacygt turbo? Intercooler wise I hear 06/07 fits best, is that true? Last ? For now, build uppipe, or switch heads to dual port22 heads and knotch out xmember and go with wrx parts?

Will

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
If you have a tube bender make your own system, i fyou have access to a mostly intact turbo engine take everything you need off of it.

·
Registered
06 wrx wagon
143 Posts
I don't have any parts yet. This will be my first turbo system from scratch. I've owned and modified 2 wrxs but I think I'm ready for the new learning experience. I'm pretty excited not trying to do things cheap, but am budget conscience. I've also never fabricated an exhaust yet I have a friend with a shop, but not sure if he has a bender or not

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Np. Making my own exhaust has me kicking myself for not picking up a madrel tube bender. I mean, I'm doing fine without one but I'd have a lot less waste if I had one to use.

61 - 80 of 149 Posts