Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Impreza RS
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searchin' around for body kits on ebay for Impreza's. Just to get an idea. But then I thought later, what if these Impreza body kits are only made for WRX and STi and not the less common RS's? Does anyone know if most of the body kits out there for Impreza's are made to (approx) fit RS's too? Or are there other body kits out there for Impreza RS's?
If you could provide me with links, I'de appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
Try and dig up some of the body kits that people have on their RS on this site. I'm bored so I'll search a little for ya

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
3,239 Posts
most body kits look great in the itty bitty pictures provided.

but in real life, they have all kinds of issues.

after installing several aftermarket body kits, I've realized that they are 99% poopy

fitment is always off, mounting holes don't line up, there's either too much, or too little of the peice to fit correctly, the surface is wavy and full of pinholes, often made of fiberglass they break easily and are basically crap for a street car. anything mounted on a bumper should be made of polyurethane or plastic to flex with the inevitable rock or debris. (on a race car where fitment, and replacement isn't an issue, fiberglass is fine)

plus they provide no installation instuctions or any seemingly reasonable way to affix them to your car in an appropriate manner. this is why the ricer in the honda's bumper wiggles all over when he's on the highway, ghetto installation, and really no other way to attach it other than the wrong way
--

I recommend OEM subaru lip and spats. the look is killer, the fitment is dead on, and installation is a snap

--

if you're dead set on a aftermarket kit, then do whatever.. it's your money..

but realize that after the purchase is the labor cost of fixing what's wrong with it to get it installed and painted, then the cost of repairing it after it cracks or shatters.

just so you know...

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Impreza RS
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
most body kits look great in the itty bitty pictures provided.

but in real life, they have all kinds of issues.

after installing several aftermarket body kits, I've realized that they are 99% poopy

fitment is always off, mounting holes don't line up, there's either too much, or too little of the peice to fit correctly, the surface is wavy and full of pinholes, often made of fiberglass they break easily and are basically crap for a street car. anything mounted on a bumper should be made of polyurethane or plastic to flex with the inevitable rock or debris. (on a race car where fitment, and replacement isn't an issue, fiberglass is fine)

plus they provide no installation instuctions or any seemingly reasonable way to affix them to your car in an appropriate manner. this is why the ricer in the honda's bumper wiggles all over when he's on the highway, ghetto installation, and really no other way to attach it other than the wrong way
--

I recommend OEM subaru lip and spats. the look is killer, the fitment is dead on, and installation is a snap

--

if you're dead set on a aftermarket kit, then do whatever.. it's your money..

but realize that after the purchase is the labor cost of fixing what's wrong with it to get it installed and painted, then the cost of repairing it after it cracks or shatters.

just so you know...
Ok, awesome, thanks for the info. 2 Q's though... Where can I get OEM subie lips and spats? How about just a different front bumper? I have heard that they are a b*tch to put on. But what if I just have a professional do it? Am I still taking a huge risk having someone else do it?

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT, 1977 Jeep CJ7
1,222 Posts
Ok well what year car do you have. Body kits are sometimes looked down upon on Subys especailly the GC body. The RS allready has a very agressive look to it and thats why body kits are not liked. Nothing beats OEM parts. If you have a 93-95 Impreza you can easily convert your car into a sexy looking RS/STI. All the parts basiclly fit except you have to cut the front bumper beam to fit a newer bumper but its really easy. RS sideskirts are cool and pretty easy to install. Rear bumper spats are pretty easy also. All of these parts are pretty easy to find on Nasioc and on here. Check ebay. That usually has some spats and skirts for sale.

·
Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
3,294 Posts
OEM spats are not perfectly fitted. They have gaps and are a pain to install because they were designed for the JDM bumper.

Not saying its impossible, but my replica Prodrive P1 lip was a lot easier to install and the fit was much better than my Subaru rear spats.

·
Registered
01 STM RS EJ257, 6MT, Brembos
2,033 Posts
You can't get any more aggressive than the RS front bumper already is. Add a lip to it, paint your factory skirts and add a set of rear spats. Its an OEM body kit that looks better than anything out there in the aftermarket. Check out the aeroguards that work with the skirts and spats if you want a little more OEM aero action. Body kits are not the way to go with our cars.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ummmmm if you had the proper bumper they would be easily fitted as he said.

Thats like saying my ver5/6 lip won't fit a ver 3/4 bumper... gosh thats crappy fitment, but its OEM subaru!

cheers
-Evan

·
Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
3,294 Posts
Ummmmm if you had the proper bumper they would be easily fitted as he said.

Thats like saying my ver5/6 lip won't fit a ver 3/4 bumper... gosh thats crappy fitment, but its OEM subaru!

cheers
-Evan
He doesn't have a JDM bumper. So in order for you to be right, he would have had to have said "oem lip, jdm bumper and spats"

So you can kindly step off my nuts, boyo :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Regardless of what was said, the fitment is only bad because it was being mounted on the incorrect bumper.

But the JDM bumper is something everyone should get as its damn sexy!

cheers
-Evan

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
3,239 Posts
jdm spats fit fine on usdm..

if the 1/4 inch gap near the ends really bug you there are 100 different homebrew fixes for this.

it never bothered me..

it's not perfect.. its jdm, yo

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
3,239 Posts
Ok, awesome, thanks for the info. 2 Q's though... Where can I get OEM subie lips and spats? How about just a different front bumper? I have heard that they are a b*tch to put on. But what if I just have a professional do it? Am I still taking a huge risk having someone else do it?
I got a V5 lip for sale... no idea how much the shipping would be, tho

the bumper is relatively easy to remove, but the plastic fasteners will be ruined when you remove it..

I replaced these crappy plastic pins with a 10mm bolt and a 10 mm j-clip long ago.

you'll need to remove your grill, then corner lights, and headlights (about 3 minutes of work)

then the 10mm bolt in the large "mouth" opening of the bumper, and the clips along the top of the bumper, then the 2 in the wheel well

bumper off--

---

if you're not comfortable doing this just have a shop do it.. I wouldn't call it risky since any shop should have insurance if your bumper explodes or something it should be covered

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Impreza RS
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, thanks for the assurance (of insurance), cause it would definately take me more than 3 minutes, lol. I've never done this before. At school, they call me the wanna be mechanic... haha, that about sums it up. Anyway....

For those of you asking earlier, it's a 2002. I also found this great site (as a database for all kinds of parts for cars).
http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/ADS/Car-Shift-Knobs/Manual-Shift-Knob-1395-Light/1926/

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
3,239 Posts
oh you have a bugeye...

I'm not sure how the bumper is attatched on that car.. never done one of those.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts